Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The cleaning rebellion

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

So my children apparently lost their minds yesterday. We clean and get organized weekly on the week-end. This is not a new concept,

My 4 year old scooped everything up into the closet in her 5 minutes and announced she was done, grabbed her tablet WITHOUT ASKING. And then upon everything falling out of the closet as I slid the door open, LIED to me, with a, "huh, mommy, I don't know, maybe brothers did that."

My 8 year old decided to take a stand that these were his toys & things and he should be entitled to leave them where he wished. 

My 10 year old decided that he would just would not help, "since I didn't really make the mess."

I felt a smidgen sorry for them by nightfall, as they all commented, "this is worst Sunday, we have ever had." Yes, my offspring, may the loss of all privileges and extra chores, bring you wisdom to just clean for 30 minutes when asked, instead of playing your dear mother like some sort of fool. 

Have your kids done this, just up and decided to declare independance? How'd that work out for them?

by on Feb. 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cellomom26
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 2:05 PM
My son did at age 3, I nipped that in the bud. Now he's 11 and rarely gets in trouble.

Sounds like you handled it well, judging from your kids' reactions. 😃
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM

My kids have issues, lots of them, but this was a new one, lol. My DH was like, "what is wrong with them today?" Yea, I had no idea.

Quoting cellomom26: My son did at age 3, I nipped that in the bud. Now he's 11 and rarely gets in trouble. Sounds like you handled it well, judging from your kids' reactions. 😃

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 3:33 PM

LOL sorry for laughing but that is all too familiar! My kids have been attempting to "go on strike" multiple times since they were little and like yours have let their mouths and attitudes get them into even bigger trouble. I know this is a part of growing up and pushing the boundaries in order to figure out just what they can and can't get away with and have more autonomy over their lives. But I'm sorry when you are a kid there is only so much independance you're going to get kiddos and if you act like a turd you'll be punished accordingly!  At 9 ad 11 the pushes aren't coming as hard or often but when they do they can be doozies.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 3:43 PM

I guess I am lucky, as mine haven't pulled this since like toddlerhood, at least not all 3 of them in one day.

Quoting PrincessAsmommy:

LOL sorry for laughing but that is all too familiar! My kids have been attempting to "go on strike" multiple times since they were little and like yours have let their mouths and attitudes get them into even bigger trouble. I know this is a part of growing up and pushing the boundaries in order to figure out just what they can and can't get away with and have more autonomy over their lives. But I'm sorry when you are a kid there is only so much independance you're going to get kiddos and if you act like a turd you'll be punished accordingly!  At 9 ad 11 the pushes aren't coming as hard or often but when they do they can be doozies.

CheerioHolder
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 3:48 PM
My seven year old tries to just put everything in her closet. Her stance is that it's her space and should be as she wants it and no one can see her closet so why does it matter. Well kiddo, it matters because 'your space' is in my house. I'll clean it for you, but most of your things will be gone!

I typically don't stress it too much if my kids complain though, as long as they actually do the work. They have to listen to me, but they don't have to like it lol.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 4:01 PM

When my dd was 4, there was one evening (around 7 pm) we told her to go clean her room. She went up to her room, decided she didn't want to clean it, climbed into bed, and went to sleep. She slept straight through until morning. And ended up having to do the cleaning that next day.

Trying to declare independence that way never works for them. Depending on how they defy us, they may find themselves with an additional punishment on top of what they were told to do.

1210maggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 4:22 PM

My kids stuff is in the finished basement so I don’t have to look at. DH says I’m too picky about organization. Yesterday DH tried to play air hockey and their was so much stuff on the floor he couldn’t get to it. 

He complained to me so we cleaned all of us. 

It wasn’t just the kids stuff downstairs it was DHs stuff to. All the junk that DH supposedly donated somehow ended up in the basement. 

Now no one is happy. 

The 3 of them have one week. Sunday I’m going down there if it’s still a mess , Monday when everyone is at school and work it gets emptied out. 

rocrobin90
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 5:05 PM

My kids have no problem cleaning. Its the backtalking. My 5 yr old gets an attitude bout getting ready for school in the mornings. He just started this. Then when they get in trouble and I ask them what happened they said they dont remember. Both my boys are 7 and 5. 

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 27, 2018 at 5:53 PM
Dd once declared that she refused to take her clothes off for a bath. So I said, ok, your choice, and I dropped her in the tub with all of her clothes on. She never did that again, cold, wet jeans clinging to you is no fun.
chaoticjoy
by on Feb. 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM

Yep, I think they all do! It is a great opportunity to establish the concept of consequences for actions. This is the stinky part of being a  parent, being the bad guy. Unfortunately, if we don't teach them this valuable life lesson they will not be ready for all the world holds for them. Good job for standing your ground, you are not alone, I know there are lots of days when I want to hide in the closet and scream!!! Keep going, you will have wonderful kids! Blessings to you!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)