Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you homeschool and did the recent event in Florida change your mind?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

We do online public school for many reasons.  We travel a lot, my son has sensory issues and frequent nosebleeds so we were concerened with bulling, we did not want him completely imersed in the digital age with becoming obssed with screen time ( video games ) and since I have a very flexible work at home job I thought it may be a good fit. I used to live in Parkland , Florida so this latest event really shook me up.

We do get out to activites occasionally and have great neighbor kids to play with but, I wanted to hear what others do with their young ones for socialization and how you feel about your school choice? Do you ever worry about your kids safety and do you think it's okay for teachers to carry guns?  I think teachers having guns is scary especially in elementary school when a young child may accidentally get a hold of it.

by on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this

There seems to be a lot of over reaction and paranoia in this post.  Homeschooling, based on the health issues, makes sense.  The other not so much. There is an awful lot of hysteria that needs to stop so that schools and children can get back to their normal daily lives.

by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
They go to public school and I don't regret the choice at all.

I'm sickened by what happened in Parkland (and we had a threat here on Tuesday) but we still send our kids to malls, movie theaters and churches and shootings have happened there. We can't live on a bubble. I just keep telling my kids to be aware their surroundings at all times and to speak up if they notice anything.
by Claire on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:17 PM

We homeschool, but due to horrible schools here. We are finishing up our 4th year now. 

As far as teachers carrying? No. I'm friends with a lot of teachers and not one of them wants the responsibility of carrying in their classrooms. Oh, and there was a teacher that barricaded his door yesterday at a high school in Dalton, GA and was arrested. That just reaffirms my stance on no firearms in the classrooms. 

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:20 PM
We have homeschooled since my 5th grader started kindergarten so no it hasn't changed my view. We use a charter homeschool program. I'm going to switch dd to a different one next year but ds will stay here.
No safety concerns.
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:30 PM
Oh and we do a lot social wise.
Dd- competitive dance
American Heritage Girls

Ds- hip hop
Trail Life
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM

My kids go to public school, and we don't regret it. We are in an excellent district. 

No, the Florida shooting does not change our minds about our choice, and I do not worry about their safety. I know the safety protocols that are in place (I work in the district my kids attend), I trust the teachers and administration to do their best to keep them safe, and I refuse to dwell on the "what ifs".

Sending your child to a public school does not mean he will automatically be addicted to screen time. Learning how to use computers in school is part of their education now. It's how you handle the electronics at home that have the most influence. Limit screen time, and do not buy them the game systems or phone.

For socialization, Cub Scouts is an excellent option. Martial arts is another good choice.

As for the arming teachers issue, I stay out of that debate, and any other involving gun rights.

by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 3:54 PM

We live in Canada and our kids attend public school. I've only waffled on the decision once and that was when Sandy Hook happened. Dd was in K and I was scared beyond words! However they attend an amazing little country school with a safety protocol that has both the kids and staff (and any guests) covered and we're very happy.

I am always upset when I hear of another shooting or threat at a school (or other public place) in the US and here in Canada but I've learned I can't let my anxiety keep my kids from experiencing life and getting an education that is way better than I could ever give them at home! Socially they are both active in the Girl Guide and Boy Scout movements, the go to church, camps, ds plays soccer and dd swims, and both kids love to just hang out with their friends.

by Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 4:56 PM
Although I hate that the proposed solution to the school shooting problem is arming teachers, I wouldn't homeschool out of fear. I have one elementary aged kid at a public school and my early childhood education kid at a private school.

Our public schools announced yesterday that they are increasing the presence of armed officers in schools by extending an open invitation to local/county/state police to drop into the schools for a free breakfast or lunch, provided by food service. I hope this program goes over as planned.
by Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM
My children attend a phenomenal public school. It’s nationally ranked one of the top 100 in the nation.

I don’t worry much about their safety in terms of gun violence. I mean, I do, but certainly no more than when we are out in any public place. Despite what we see in the media, school remains the safest place children go.

I’m going to be honest: I’m wildly confused by the online addiction thing being a reason to homeschool, particularly when you use an ONLINE school. I’m not trying to start a debate or argument in any way and I very much support a parents’ right to homeschool. But those particular reasons aren’t making a lot of sense to me personally. The health issues I can see, for sure. The rest seems odd.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 5:11 PM
We do online school for many reasons. My son has frequent migraines that caused him to miss several days and learning. The local school was horrible as was the one 25 min away. Both consolidated schools with K-12 in one building. We live in rural area. My dd needed more help than other school was giving. The online school allows her to take her time and focus. She gets one on one help. We travel downstate a lot for appointments. So we just take school with us. They play soccer and attend church. I am happy with our decision. Bullying was a huge problem in that school also. They were more concerned with parents suing and crap than protecting the children. Administration sucked. Very happy with homeschooling and will continue through 12th grade.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)