Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you homeschool and did the recent event in Florida change your mind?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do online public school for many reasons.  We travel a lot, my son has sensory issues and frequent nosebleeds so we were concerened with bulling, we did not want him completely imersed in the digital age with becoming obssed with screen time ( video games ) and since I have a very flexible work at home job I thought it may be a good fit. I used to live in Parkland , Florida so this latest event really shook me up.

We do get out to activites occasionally and have great neighbor kids to play with but, I wanted to hear what others do with their young ones for socialization and how you feel about your school choice? Do you ever worry about your kids safety and do you think it's okay for teachers to carry guns?  I think teachers having guns is scary especially in elementary school when a young child may accidentally get a hold of it.

by on Mar. 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 5:32 PM

We made a list of reasons when deciding on our schooling and the minor health issue was just one but, since I have a very flexiable work schedule I wanted to be able to teach my child and be there for his growth and learning.  Yes, we do assignments on line but, just for a limited time and the rest is workbooks.  We spend time doing hands on activites most of the day such as cooking, crafts playing outside or going to the musuems etc.  It seemed that many kids we had encountered say their favorite activity was video games and we wanted to avoid that.  The fear of a school shooting wasn't a reason to homeschool but, I was curious if there are other moms who work from home or stay at home moms who may have reconsidered their choice and also those who do homeschool, what is your day like?

by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2018 at 8:55 AM

My two third graders attend traditional school. My teen attends K12 virtual school. The whole school shootings mess scares the pants off of me. When they took away the authority of the teachers and schools what did they really think would happen? 

by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM
My kids attend public schools. While their school gives me no reason to worry about their safety--I still worry. It scares me to know that these school shootings keep happening.

We love their school and I'm glad to send them.

I don't want teachers to be required to carry fact, I'd say that was a down right hypocritical thing to do. Last week, we got a notice home that a student brought a forbidden item to school (a toy gun). So they had to notify us (all parents received a phone call and a letter sent home) and discipline the child.
So if a kid can't even bring certain items resembling guns to school, how would this make it ok to arm teachers?

Sorry that got long!

by Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 1:29 PM

We do not homeschool.

We live in an excellent public school district, which is where SS goes to school. I teach in a neighboring rural public school.

The most recent shooting has affected me, but only because some punk kids at several nearby districts have decided to make comments / threats. My coworkers and administration are on edge and are pushing new lockdown / preparedness training, which has been very stressful.

Overall, it doesn’t change how my kids will be educated. The only difference is deciding where to send my oldest to pre-K. Do I want her in a better district further away from me, or at my district closer to me?

by Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 4:03 PM
We homschooled becuz of bulling
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM

We do not homeschool. Sometimes I wish I could as I think I might be able to fit more life experiences and content into a school schedule & we could avoid peer pressure. But both my boys have educational needs that I really do not think I am skilled enough to meet.

As for the shootings, they are awful. But they truly are still very uncommon.

by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2018 at 3:43 AM
No, I don't homeschool and no, the Florida incident hasn't changed anything for me. That being said, I live in Canada. I am considering homeschooling my oldest, but not out of fear that something will happen. I'm still not sure about it though.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM
I never considered homeschooling until 12 months ago. The decision has nothing to do with bullying, school shootings, or quality of the schools. It is about traveling to different projects for work. After my daughter attended 4 different public schools in 12 months we looked hard at our decision. However, we decided to continue to keep her in public school, and only switch schools in the fall unless we go back to the school our permanent home is zoned for where she has a lot of social ties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)