Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sylvan Learning Center

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2018 at 10:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

YDS struggles in school with his learning disabilities. Finding tutors has been a little bit of a struggle, and our current one is OK but DS is still just doing about the same. So I finally just went and had both DS's evaluated at a chain, Sylvan Learning.

I guess we are going to give it a whirl. YDS tested far below his grade level, which is not overly surprising. I may go ahead and use it for enrichment for ODS as well.

Have you and anybody you know used their services for remediation, enrichment or older kid test prep?

by on Mar. 17, 2018 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 18, 2018 at 9:30 AM
It's been years since I've dealt with sylvan but I haven't been impressed.

I know several who tutored for them who were not certified teachers. They were all told to lie if asked by the clients. They pay the tutors very little and charge quite a lot. Teachers can make much tutoring on their own so I imagine they have a hard time getting tutors.

I also believe they intentionally skew their testing results to make it look like the students are making more progress than they were. I've had students show tons of growth with thier testing and very little with the testing being done at school. When parents asked for the tests themselves so I could see them they were told they aren't allowed to give them out.

Granted it's been years since there things happened. But they left a bad taste in my mouth. Many parents on her report great results from them. Good luck.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM

Thanks. I feel like I need luck. I do a bit of reading on learning disabilities and one teacher ed textbook stating 50% of students with severe LD don't make improvement with any strategies. And DS is not making a lot of progress, so I am (I don't want to say desparate) struggling to stay optimistic.

I looked into Sylvan last year, but opted to go a different route. But the location seems convenient, so we may give them a try. It sounds like the Sylvan struggles with improving SAT & ACT test scores in older children. "Too late, too little" excuse.

He showed all my kid's intial testing in great detail, which I reviewed politely, but inside, I was saying, "yes, I know exactly how they would test, I work with them every damn day." My 8 year old who will be heading into the 3rd grade next year, is testing right around the beginning of 1st grade. So depressing. 

I am also likely going to put him in summer tutoring 3 days a week with specific Orton Gillingham instructor from a school that specializes in LD kiddos. So we are just going to attack the problem with several different strategies, hoping they will have a synergistic impact.

Quoting maxswolfsuit: It's been years since I've dealt with sylvan but I haven't been impressed. I know several who tutored for them who were not certified teachers. They were all told to lie if asked by the clients. They pay the tutors very little and charge quite a lot. Teachers can make much tutoring on their own so I imagine they have a hard time getting tutors. I also believe they intentionally skew their testing results to make it look like the students are making more progress than they were. I've had students show tons of growth with thier testing and very little with the testing being done at school. When parents asked for the tests themselves so I could see them they were told they aren't allowed to give them out. Granted it's been years since there things happened. But they left a bad taste in my mouth. Many parents on her report great results from them. Good luck.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM
My kids also struggle. My fourth grader had a very hard time until last year and now he's thriving in most areas. My first grader has a hard time but I am optimistic that he will be a late bloomer like his brother.

Quoting Marti123:

Thanks. I feel like I need luck. I do a bit of reading on learning disabilities and one teacher ed textbook stating 50% of students with severe LD don't make improvement with any strategies. And DS is not making a lot of progress, so I am (I don't want to say desparate) struggling to stay optimistic.

I looked into Sylvan last year, but opted to go a different route. But the location seems convenient, so we may give them a try. It sounds like the Sylvan struggles with improving SAT & ACT test scores in older children. "Too late, too little" excuse.

He showed all my kid's intial testing in great detail, which I reviewed politely, but inside, I was saying, "yes, I know exactly how they would test, I work with them every damn day." My 8 year old who will be heading into the 3rd grade next year, is testing right around the beginning of 1st grade. So depressing. 

I am also likely going to put him in summer tutoring 3 days a week with specific Orton Gillingham instructor from a school that specializes in LD kiddos. So we are just going to attack the problem with several different strategies, hoping they will have a synergistic impact.

Quoting maxswolfsuit: It's been years since I've dealt with sylvan but I haven't been impressed.

I know several who tutored for them who were not certified teachers. They were all told to lie if asked by the clients. They pay the tutors very little and charge quite a lot. Teachers can make much tutoring on their own so I imagine they have a hard time getting tutors.

I also believe they intentionally skew their testing results to make it look like the students are making more progress than they were. I've had students show tons of growth with thier testing and very little with the testing being done at school. When parents asked for the tests themselves so I could see them they were told they aren't allowed to give them out.

Granted it's been years since there things happened. But they left a bad taste in my mouth. Many parents on her report great results from them. Good luck.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM

If child is tested far below his grade level, I suggest having your child evaluated and diagnosed if not.  Have evaluations/diagnosis with symptoms/needs written and sent to the special education department of your local public school to receive an IEP (Individual Education Plan).  An IEP allows services for your child in the classroom or out of it.  A 504 Plan is also available for accomodations in the class for class work or testing. 

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, this is where he is with his IEP for 2 years. He was been diagnosed with LD. And he has a para with him during the school day.

Quoting emarin77:

If child is tested far below his grade level, I suggest having your child evaluated and diagnosed if not.  Have evaluations/diagnosis with symptoms/needs written and sent to the special education department of your local public school to receive an IEP (Individual Education Plan).  An IEP allows services for your child in the classroom or out of it.  A 504 Plan is also available for accomodations in the class for class work or testing. 

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 7:36 PM

I remember reading that your kiddos struggle too. I am happy that all his work and yours is paying off. I know siblings have a lot of similarities, so I bet your first grader will get there too.

Quoting maxswolfsuit: My kids also struggle. My fourth grader had a very hard time until last year and now he's thriving in most areas. My first grader has a hard time but I am optimistic that he will be a late bloomer like his brother.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 8:52 PM

A learing disorder is just a general term, but knowing the actual diagnosis can assist in learning and managing symptoms that can definitly assist in child's growth.

Quoting Marti123:

Thanks, this is where he is with his IEP for 2 years. He was been diagnosed with LD. And he has a para with him during the school day.

Quoting emarin77:

Lynn750
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 8:56 PM

I paid them several thousand dollars to get my 9th grade step son to pass his grade.  After several months of going three times a week, he was absolutrly no closer and still had no idea how to do his homework.  Pulled him out, and got him a tutor to help with his homework.  I was homeschooling him by that point, and they got him to pass Algebra.

Several years later, I wanted to prepare my 5 year old son for Kindergarten.  Took him there for a few months.  All they ever wanted him to learn was how to count red dots, in groups of five per line. Every time I asked when he would anything at all other than counting dots, they said that's their program and what they teach.  

Total waste of time and money, and I regret every dime I paid them!

Shadowgirl113
by Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 9:01 PM
I’ve liked slyvan so far. Dd8 is in 2nd grade and i started her with a Groupon this past fall to help her reading.

She was struggling to sounds out every word. It took almost an hour to read 1 full page of a book. I am not a patient teacher and we would have to take breaks when she or I would get aggravated. It’s been 40 hours of instruction now and she can read with some fluency now. She will actually read the names on signs and labels, which is a huge change. Right now she is working on reading comprehension because that’s still fairly low for her. She finally came above the 25th percentile on her school testing with this instruction.

I’ll likely do one more block of hours (20) to get her on pace. You can always ask for discounts/reduced plans they offer. I usually get 20 hrs for $720. Which it’s a lot, but it’s a good discount off their regular prices.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 10:28 PM

How frustrating for you. We aren't really getting anywhere with tutors, BUT, the tutors that I have talked to, all seem to prefer older children. So I figure we will give this a try! It is interesting, that it's a chain, but they must have some variability, as the owner was very clear, they don't really do any math until they are much further along than KGer. So not sure what they were doing teaching red dots, nutballs!!

Quoting Lynn750:

I paid them several thousand dollars to get my 9th grade step son to pass his grade.  After several months of going three times a week, he was absolutrly no closer and still had no idea how to do his homework.  Pulled him out, and got him a tutor to help with his homework.  I was homeschooling him by that point, and they got him to pass Algebra.

Several years later, I wanted to prepare my 5 year old son for Kindergarten.  Took him there for a few months.  All they ever wanted him to learn was how to count red dots, in groups of five per line. Every time I asked when he would anything at all other than counting dots, they said that's their program and what they teach.  

Total waste of time and money, and I regret every dime I paid them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)