Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think kids get too much homework or not enough?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 6:26 PM
  • 32 Replies
??
by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:01 PM
3 moms liked this
5 worksheets per night in kinder is a little excessive to me
heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM
The homework my kids bring home is helpful, it's review sheets for what they're working on and random review of previously learned material. It's manageable and usually completed in half an hour.
Curlymom234
by Meg on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:06 PM
We had stupid amounts in kindergarten too

Quoting Reese2010727: 5 worksheets per night in kinder is a little excessive to me
Curlymom234
by Meg on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:07 PM
Just the right amount. We’re done in 30 minutes
princessmara
by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Way too much. When I was in school (back in the stone age) homework was whatever we didn't finish in class, unless it was a special project or report. I just don't get why they need pages and pages every night.
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:08 PM
ridiculous!

Quoting Curlymom234: We had stupid amounts in kindergarten too

Quoting Reese2010727: 5 worksheets per night in kinder is a little excessive to me
Calamity4e
by Member on Apr. 17, 2018 at 7:58 AM

My 4th grader seems to have less HW this year than her sister- now in 5th grade had last year. I don't really understand that.

My 5th grader has spurts where several things are due around the same time. Right now she has book summary due for ELA, a report on a muscian for music class, and she has to develop a toy/game including a report, poster, advertisement and presentation for Science class. They are all due next week. I don't understand why the teachers can't work together to spread it out a little bit more.

CheerioHolder
by Member on Apr. 17, 2018 at 8:01 AM
My daughter's homework seems appropriate. It recaps material they've already learned in class, so it only takes a few minutes to complete. She's also given a week for any large projects, which I think is reasonable.
Rhiannon1980
by Member on Apr. 17, 2018 at 8:57 AM
Our son is in second and he gets 1 math sheet a night. The problem is it's too easy for him. He is done in like 5 minutes if that. I wish they would give him harder stuff. He test at a 4th grade level in math.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2018 at 9:24 AM

Nine times out of ten homework is work not completed IN school. If your kid has excessive amounts, then I would be checking to see about their time on task IN the classroom. When my kids were in elementary there were always moms complaining about the homework loads and my kids didn't have any. It's about time management. My kids would take advantage of the time on the bus/car ride to finish anything. I'm not saying that homework doesn't occur, but usually it comes down to the lack of time management by the kid. 

ETA: may kids weren't slacking either, they are all AP/honor's kids now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)