Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My Kids

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 9:12 AM
  • 6 Replies
i have an 8 year old in second grade and a 6 year old in kindergarten and I sonmetimes feel that I am the one going to school.  Then there are other times I wonder if my kids are going to school at all with all the days off the kids get these days.  I don't remember having so many days off when i went to school. 
by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sweetheart4171
by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Same here, I feel like I'm revisiting 3rd grade all over again.  There is so much to know, and the work is a lot harder for them.  Some principles they are teaching is different than what I learned so my daughter ends up teaching me.
She grasps things quickly so that makes it much easier on me.

paigeteaches
by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 5:04 PM
Sorry, but I am mixed on this.  I am a Mom & a teacher.  Sometimes it feels like I never get a day off.  Tongue out
Wldflwr
by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 5:24 PM
Oh I know what ya mean.
My 6yr old loves school. This is his first year. He calls it a Land of great discovery. It is really hard on him when they don't have school. But I kinda like not having to get out of bed before 6am... Heee Hee!
bits78
by on Feb. 8, 2007 at 5:57 PM
My kids love school and even love coming home to do their homework.  I know it may not last but I love that they love to learn-  That is the best gift you can give to yourself or anyone because with an education you can go far if you want to.  As it has been said many times by many people "Education is the one thing that  is never a waste of money"

Homework is needed to reinforce the things going on in school- You will remember more and learn better if you review the material you just learned in school again within 24hours of learning it- That is what homework is about.  I know it can be time consuming and it seems like it is your homework but in fact it is- School is not solely to send your children off and let the teachers babysit or deal with them it is a team approach- The teachers teach and you reinforce and in a sense also teach.  You are teaching them good habits.  Teaching them to do their homework everynight is preparing them for high school and college when you will be less involved in their homework.

My daughter is in second grade- I sit her down at the table and have her do her homework right when she gets home from school.  I then prepare dinner and then when she has it done I go over her work and check it for  errors.
By having her read her homework paper and figure it out I am teaching her reading comprehension.  I am also available should she really be stuck on something and need assistance.
mickeymouse
by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 5:07 AM

Quoting Wldflwr:

Oh I know what ya mean.
My 6yr old loves school. This is his first year. He calls it a Land of great discovery. It is really hard on him when they don't have school. But I kinda like not having to get out of bed before 6am... Heee Hee!

I don't like getting up too early either especially since i work nights and don't get home until 5:30 in the morning so I really love the days when they don't have school for that reason but like I said it makes me wonder how much school they really have.
pinkbutterfly
by on Feb. 9, 2007 at 10:00 AM
I know what you mean with the days off.  It seems like everytime I turn around school is off.... what's with that... atleast one day every month for something or other.  As for the homework... I feel like they should have homework that they do by themselves... example:  My daughter had homework last night that she had to find stuff in the house to pass out to every member in the family... one for you one for me, and so on... counting how many she had before hand... then she had to see how many every person got, and how many were left over... WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO JUST MEMORIZING THE TIMES TABLES!!!  We spent like an hour doing that last night... just makes me wounder whose homework it was???
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN