Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten Registration

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 4:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
We have registration on Thursday for my DD.  What should I expect?  I have no idea.  With my SS his mom handled most of it, so this is really the first time I am going through this on my own.  DH will be there of course, but when it comes to school things (and medical and...) he is useless.  (Love him dearly but it is true!Kiss).

Any input would be greatly apprecitated!!

Thanks!
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ebeth980
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM
It should be no problem for you.  In the part Georgia where i live, the kids take a short test while you fill out a bunch of forms and the kids get a icecream.
SouthernSAHM
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 5:39 PM
At our school you could go by the office before registration day and get the forms so you can fill them out before you go.
We had to take birth certificate, Social Security card, Blue immunization form and power bill to show residency. The school should be able to tell you what to bring.
Each child got an eye test(read apples, houses and flowers in eye chart) and speech test (Speech teacher just asked them questions like Identify a letter, a number, asked their name and questions about pets or siblings).
They also gave out info on after school care, Flex classes, free lunch program, IN case of emergency forms, school year calendar, and a kindergarten handbook and the County School Rules, regulations and Code of Conduct. They gave a tour of the school and the kindergarten classes.
jenfer78
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM
We didn't have any tests. Just paperwork, proof of residency, and shot records, etc.

No eye test, or written test. If they don't pass the written test, does that mean they can't go to kindergarten?

auntielynn
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Quoting jenfer78:

We didn't have any tests. Just paperwork, proof of residency, and shot records, etc.

No eye test, or written test. If they don't pass the written test, does that mean they can't go to kindergarten?

i dont remember any test,you just sign him up,get his paperwork,take the stuff that they asked for and get the class that he will be in,then hes all set,them you can show your child what class they will be in. dont worry.
boysx5
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 6:57 PM
yes we just had tons of paperwork and we need birth cer. proof of residence and make sure they were up to date with their shots.
SouthernSAHM
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 9:38 PM
Clarification.
  I did not mean a written test. I meant that they stood on a line on the floor and called out  figures on an eye chart then they went to a table with the Speech teacher who asked them few questions for a Speech screening. Nothing written, thats for sure. We also have 3 different Kindergarten registration days. One is April, One the first of June and the last in mid July. Then A kindergarten Orientation day the First of August.School Starts Aug. 9th.
mommyD
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 10:10 PM
I am in Florida and my son is starting school this year also, but with my daughter it was a ton of paperwork and then like 3 wks before school she had to go in the room with the teacher and take something like a test.  All it reall was, she drew a picture of something, they played with blocks and she asked her questions like is mommy a boy or girl--pretty simple stuff!!  Don't worry!!
playbypryncss
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 10:21 PM
We're in Long Island NY and Andres starts kindergaren in Sept, here there ao tests or questions for him, just the paperwork, proof of address, medical records, and birth certificates,
cmnrandau
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 10:29 PM
In our school district, they call it Kindergarten Round Up.  This is a parents information meeting where the principal, the kindergarten teachers, PTA , the school counselor and a few others talk about the school and what to expect during the first year of school.  The only forms that are required are a registration form, original birth certificate, up to date immunization record and eye exam.   My son's preschool had the health department come into school one day for this, or you can go to the local health department and get it done for free.  Proof of residency is also required.  During the K roundup at our school, the kids were also invited and they get to tour the kindergarten rooms, gymnasium, media center, make a craft and take a short ride on the school bus.  The kids do this when the parents are in their meeting.  The PTA of our school sponsors the kids part of the evening.
Kellyn
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 10:37 PM
Here in MN you do a preschool evaluation prior to registration.  DD had hers in October. 

Thanks for all the info!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN