Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goody bag ideas for 6 yr old party?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM
  • 10 Replies
I need suggestions of what to pack into a small goody bag for my son's 6th bday party.  We're having it at the skating rink, no theme, the place is supplying us with generic paper goods.  There will be boys and girls there.  About 12 kids total.  Ideas?
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juniebeajones
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I wouldn't do anything too expensive. Most parents hate the goody bags anyway - they are usually stuffed with junk. My daughter likes swimming parties so I get off pretty easy - I buy several pairs of flip flops from Children's Place (2 for $5) and then return what I end up with. For a skate party I would put a few skate passes and maybe a movie rental??

jrzmom
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 11:13 AM
what about scarfs, gloves or mittens?

hedgie
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 11:27 AM
I like the dollar section at Target and also at Michael's. You can't guarantee what you'll find there on any given day, but the quality is generally better than the quality at the dollar store, and much better than the bulk "party favor" junk that just breaks on the ride home anyway. I bought plain white paper "gift bags" in bulk from Michaels for maybe 60 cents apiece.

Some kid parties I've been to, the favor is just one single item. That's nice, both in terms of it not being junk and in terms of not having a half dozen bits of plastic craperoo to pick up around the house.

Hot Wheels cars can be a decent favor for boys. Even though most already have scads, at least they aren't total trash.
happilydivorced
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 11:52 AM
I have girls, but I usually pack some candy, a pencil, and bubbles or something like that. 
rfourangels
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM

A few times for goody bags we would give one unique item, instead of filling a bag. This made it really easy if the party wasn't at home. One year, it was a squishy light up reptile (about $2.00/ each); another year it was a can of silly string. We've received several like thatas well, such as a small box of a game (like sorry; chess; etc.). I've seen those at Thrifty for $2-3.

Have fun!

hedgie
by on Jul. 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I'm just bumping this to say that I was at Target yesterday and they have a lot of summer toys on clearance. Things like jump ropes for $1.48. I was thinking that I might stock up on some of this stuff for future parties.

jackiedz
by on Jul. 24, 2008 at 6:16 PM

My youngest daughter went to birthday party not long ago and instead of goody bags each child received a book. (She is 4, so it was a picture book with a few words, but you could adjust that according to the age of the guests.) I thought that was something different and a great idea.

Texgirl73
by on Jul. 24, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Dollar store....coloring book w/crayons. $1.

ladycane99
by on Jul. 25, 2008 at 11:10 AM

My favorite goody bag staple is bubbles.  Also, I'll usually put in stickers, a pencil, some candy (dd has a bday near Halloween) and sometimes a small toy.  Last year I know I put in a rubber bouncy ball for the boys and then some Hannah Montana notepads for the girls.  I don't like the usual junk that goes into a bag either so I do my best to buy something decent and not waste my money.

oatgirls
by on Jul. 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM

with back to school items on sale and schools starting soon:  pencils, crayons, glue sticks, erasers, stickers, wash off tatoos, notebook

I have 2 girls so I usually do more girlie things but I Hope this helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)