Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarden and parent teacher conference's what is everyone's opinion

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM
  • 15 Replies
My son is in Kindergarden and yesterday they sent home a piece of paper saying that April 11 they were going to have early dismissal so that the school can conduct parent teacher conference's so that parents can see the progress they're children are making. It's for all the elementary levels I just wanted to get everyone's opinion,do you think that for kindergardeners parent's should attend parent teacher conferences? Im debating wether to go or not she is always telling me that my son behaves bad that he talks too much and so on. Like I was saying I was debating whether to do or not and Im not too sure if I could get everyone's opinion and what they think it would be great thanks.
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cathyoc
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM
I have always gone, even to the kindergarden one.  My daughter has always been the one to talk to much also.  See what she has to say.   
kimg33
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM
I found the parent/teacher conference helpful.  The teacher pointed out things that my son was having problems with so I was able to work with him on those things.  Ours was during the first report card time though not towards the end of the year.
mescheve
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Last year when my oldest was in kindergarten, we had 3 parent teacher conferences. I talked to her teacher on a daily basis and helped in classroom atleast once a week and I still went to the meetings. It is a good time to review your childs work and actually talk to the teacher. Now in 1st grade I've been to 2 already and have another next week. This last one will be important to make sure she is where she needs to be to move on to the next grade and if she should do summer school.

Mi_Chelly
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:39 PM
It is always good to go to the conferences, no matter the grade.. They talk about more then just grades, but what they plan on doing in school, any future field trips, ask for volunteers... that sort of thing..
hipmomof2
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Absolutely you should go!  KIndergarden is just as important as any other grade!  And so is your child's education.  Maybe this will give you a chance to get some ideas from the teacher (or the two of you could colaborate) on ways to help your child.  Especially at this time of year when there is only one quarter to go!  GOOD LUCK!

Gayle123
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:37 PM
My son is in second grade and I have always found parent teacher conferences to be very helpful. Make sure that this is a time that both you and the teacher share things about your child. If the teacher starts to become to negative take control of the conversation in a gentle way and ask for some positive feedback. Don't get distressed about negative reports from your childs teacher. Use them to help your child become a better student. I sure he is a wonderful, lively child and that is a good thing.
crazym0m0f5
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:41 PM
This is a real important one this is the one that if they think your kid it falling behind if they want to pass them or not..
yhen
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 1:06 PM
My son always gets a bad "color" on his daily planner for disrupting class.. We finally had a conference with the teacher and was surprised at what she said. She informed us that she's concerned that my son is simply bored in her class..not exactly misbehaving and that he's in a higher level than most of her students and already knows the things she teaches and in result he is bored and does not pay attention and just like to make the girls laugh! She wants him to test for gifted class because she uses him to help her other students read. I wasn't surprised because I make him read Harry Potter books already but  I was in shock because I have prepared myself to hear how misbehaved my son is in school. I would say go ahead and go, especially since your son is in kindergarten, it would be great to see how he's progressing since it's his first time in an elementary school.
NO1LKME
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 2:00 PM
Why would you not go?  Kindergarden is the foundation for the entire journey ahead in your child's education.  If the foundation is cracked, fix it now.  You will never know what issues to address at home if you don't know what is going on at school.

I say go............................to EVERY conference and then ask for more.

Being involved is the key to a good education for your child, at any age.

Candie

To fear is one thing.  To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another.
cinii
by on Mar. 24, 2007 at 12:10 AM
 you need to understand even though we would like to beleave that there are awsome teachers everywhere there 's just not enough of them . Your kindergardener relies on your voice to speak for him or her, other grades as well. Lets face it with budget cuts politition signing new bills and acts on the so called behest of the nations children its a suprise that children still go to school.  As for what your childs teacher is saying ,listen but with a grain of salt because the question that needs to be asked is what led up to this behavior and is everything being told to you. because there is always two sides to every story(the children vs. the teachers)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)