Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten only 2.5 days a week?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:57 AM
  • 14 Replies

My oldest son just started Kindergarten and was attending school five days a week from 8-11:20 which was working out great. We recently moved to a new school in a different state and his new class is only on Tue. and Thur. from 8-2:15 and half  day on Fri. from 11:30-2:15. This seems so odd to me  having them attend so little school hours when they are trying to prepare the kids for entering into first grade which is five full days a week. He gets so confused on which days he has school and which days he doesn't. Does anyone have a similar schedule with their child's school and how do you feel about it?

by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenfer78
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 7:36 AM
no.  That is unusual.  I've never heard of that.  We have full day kindergarten.  My daughter loves, loves school.  She would go there 7 days a week.  She hates snow days, and any other day she is off.

boysx5
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 7:36 AM
wow that is strange here we have all day kindergarten which just started this year last year it was half day but five days a week
Momontherun2
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM
What state are you in? Over here in MD we have full day KG which starts at 8:50 and ends at 3:05 pm.
pinkbutterfly
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 9:46 AM
I also think that is unusual.  It sounds more like preschool hours than Kindergatren hours.  My dayghter had half days from 11:30- 3:20.  Maybe there are alot of kids in that school district, and they take turns with the days and times, and that is why your son is going at such strange times... I don' t know.  It all sounds kind of strange to me.
krielly
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:31 AM
I've heard schools that do that now. It does seem odd for the kids but it's supposed to save a lot of money on transportation for the school district. I think I'd like it if our school district were to change the schedule.
nicknrysmom
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 11:21 AM
I live in Washington state and last year my son went to kindergarten wednesday & fridays and  every other  monday.  (They also had another group of kids that went tuesday & thursday and every other monday.) He did go all day though from 9:10 to 2:50.  Somethimes I felt like he was so behind from my niece who lives in NY and went 5 full days a week.  
MadIsaacsMom
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 4:47 PM
I also live in WA state and my son goes Monday, Thursday full days (9:30 - 3:40) and Wednesday half day (9:30 - 12:10).

I wasn't sure about the schedule when my daughter did it, but I guess I'm used to it now.  I don't know how working parents do it though.

I think it does have to do with funding and transportation.  It's pretty sad how much the funding has been cut here.
Faye_Daisy
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 4:50 PM
We  only have kindergarten half days here only kids who need extra help go all day.
Joelsmom11601
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 9:35 PM
Wow that does sound strange. Not sure I would be able to keep up with the schedule. Joel goes to half day kindergarten from 12:20-3:00. He goes in the morning sometimes when their is a performance or something like that at school. We live in NY.
SouthernSAHM
by on Mar. 24, 2007 at 10:47 PM
My best friend lives in New Jersey and her son goes to Kindergarten 5 days a week from 12-3:00. BUT, the school district realized that was not enough to keep up with the NO Child Left Behind Guidelines , so next year they begin the full 5 day a week K-5.
Our K5's go 5 days a week form 7:50 to 3:05 and most of our K4 preschools are also 4 or 5 days from 9-2pm, K3 is either 2, 3 or 5 days from 9am to either 12noon or 2pm. You can see by K5 they are well prepared for a full week.
I live in Alabama.
Even the private 5K's are 5 days 9am to 2 pm around here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)