Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lunchbox Ideas?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM
  • 8 Replies
Okay, so I'm putting our menu together for lunches the first month and I'm looking for ideas.  I'm going through the internet searching for different things but I'd love to hear ideas from the mommies here.  Tried, tested and approved lunches from all the hardworking moms on this board would rock. 

Also, my youngest is starting kinder this year, her first year in school (I'm crying a little inside).  She is going to have the toughest time adjusting especially when it comes to eating her lunch in such a short amount of time.  The little girl can sit for almost an hour at the table eating her food in complete leisure.  So, starting next week we're doing kinder boot camp so that we can practice things she'll need to do on her own and at a quicker pace.  Eating in a short amount of time will be on the agenda.  Any ideas to make lunches easy and quicker for her would be helpful, too. 

Thanks to everyone.  I'm looking forward to hearing some of your ideas.

~PixieChic~

Mom to FaeryFly (9), SharkBoy (7), and Princess (5)

by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
masastan
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:15 PM
My kids eat school lunches.  They do sometimes pack a lunch and they have lunch boxes, but, I am not sure why because when they pack themselves a lunch it is ALWAYS a PBJ and they can ALWAYS get that at school.  So, I am sorry, I can't help with any ideas, but I look forward to seeing other mom's ideas.  I would like some too.  Right now my kids are on free meals with the school system, so it pays for me to not pack their lunch, but that will change as soon as my dh and I get back on our feet financially.  And with four kids.....
nwoodward0503
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:19 PM
My son loves those crustables in the frozen food section. I try to stick with sandwiches, fruit cup and some crackers of some sort. The best way to help your youngest is to make sure to pack things that you know she loves. That way she won't be too hesitant on eating. She will gobble them right up!

ButterflyBetty
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:19 PM

We do PB&J sandwiched, Turkey sandwiches, Lunchables, Vienna Sausage,  chicken nuggets
Lisa
jana1999
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:20 PM
my Taylor started kindergarden this morning and i pack lunch for her the days she doesnt want lunch room food.  I have planned to make  ham roll ups  with whole wheat tortilla , i pack grapes, or carrots, and a small snack bag of chips of her choice. Also little cups of pudding or jello, i freeze her little bottle of water and juice box and that keeps everything cold. Also i put a little   I love you note, NO she cant read  but  she knows  I    HEart   U!!!!  i hope it makes her feel special!!!!  
terkm
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:28 PM
My son will going to kindergarten this year also.  I plan on making his lunch most days.  I have heard that it is better because of the limited time that they have to eat. 
I will be making sandwiches and roll-ups most days.  I think that I will put some kind of fruit, some carrots, or chips.  I have not really thought to much about it.  I guess that I had better get it together and make some sort of decsion on how we are goignt o do lunches.
He is my 1 and only child so it is all new for me.
He is so ready to go to school.  He asks everyday if today is the day he starts kindergarten. 
Not sure he is going to be able to wait until 27Aug.
babs5221
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 12:30 PM
I agree that packing something that she really enjoys to eat will help her eat faster.  My DD will be starting kindergarten also in a few weeks so it will be a change for her when it comes to how long she gets to eat.  For my 8 year old I have packed PB&J, ham and cheese roll ups using tortillas.  She even had me pack a tortilla with PB&J in it!  Sounds gross to me but she loved it!  Then I try and throw in some fruit and usually a bag of chips and a drink of her choosing.  I bought these great fruit cups from Market Day at my daughters school that you freeze so when lunch time comes they are all ready to eat.  She loves them!  I think choosing the "main" food item can be hard.  I don't know about you but my DD would eat the chips and drink before anything else so I try to pack something that she wants - like the tortilla with PB&J!  Also, I bought a huge thing of cookie cutters and when she eats a normal PB&J I try and cut the sandwich into fun shapes for her.  She loves the scaredy cat at halloween - lol
mollyhousemouse
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 5:58 PM
My 3 go to a charter school that does not have a cafeteria, so lunch boxes are the only option.
Instead of those expensive lunchables, I cut up the lunchmeat and put in the crackers they like.
Also popular is a water bottle with milk and a plastic bowl of cereal.  Add fruit and it's great!
My oldest also likes to take cut up ham or turkey with a salad.  Or even hard boiled eggs and a salad.
The two younger ones are fond of apple slices, or crackers, and peanut butter. 
If you put the peanut butter in a snack size zip top bag, they can have the lunchroom aide cut the tiniest bit of the corner off so they can squeeze the PB out of the bag onto the cracker or apple.
Another thing we do, this will be our 3rd year without a cafeteria, is make our own snack mix.  Cheerios, dried cranberries, dried pineapple, shelled sunflower seeds.  Yummy!

Remember what Paul told the Philippians, "I CAN do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me."  You CAN do it too.  He is just waiting for you to ask Him for help.

(I tried to make a ticker but it never worked!)

mizzlee
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 7:14 PM
I tried to pack different things. Sandwiches, grapes, string cheese, fat free pudding (he LOVES pudding lol:), fat free newtons,applesauce cups, chips, granola bars. He loves lunchables!!. Sometimes i just made my own. I know with Darrion he wasnt eating everything i packed.I guess with time and excitement :)  So i started packing less. I know i would like to try the roll ups i have seen posted. He also liked to pick out graham crackers from the store

I have seen a lot of great ideas on the net that are healthy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)