Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Child doesn't want to go to school..I need help!

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 12:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter was sick a couple of weeks ago and missed two days of school.  She got better and went back..the next week I had to go and pick her up from school because she said her ear hurt..so she missed two days of school that week.  This morning..it started again..she has a cough and she says she's to sick to go to school.  I don't know if she's faking or if she really is sick!  I need help..she has gotten where she just doesn't want to go to school.  She has ADD and so school is a struggle for her, but staying home isn't going to fix things.  I could really use some help.  I have taken all privlidges away and she has been driving me nuts already today.  Any advice would be wonderful.
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mescheve
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 12:15 PM
My oldest tried this in December. She had missed a week of school for a stomach bug, which was horrible and took forever to get over. The following Monday she said her stomach hurt, but I knew she was well enough for her dance classes on Saturday, so I sent her to school, she went to  the nurse about 30 min. into the day and told her she had thrown up, so the nurse called me and when I got there I got a lecture about sending a sick kid to school. Well when i got home, I told her seeing as she was so sick she had to stay in bed all day, no TV (which the previous week i had let her veg out in front of) and all she could eat was crackers and soup. Fine, the next day she says she is still sick, so I was like okay I'll keep her home again, but again no TV and nothing but soup and crackers. She was so bored all day laying in her bed no one to talk to, no toys, no books, and bland food. Wednesday morning she woke up and asked to get in the shower so she could get ready for school. So my suggestion would be to make her stay in her bed with no toys or books or anything that would be considered entertaining and serve her only soup and crackers. It worked for me.
firebird
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 12:23 PM
  My five year old got moved from one kindergarten to another three weeks ago.  This was right after they got tested.  They moved the kids according to their performance levels.  She happened to test high and was put into a class with others of her level.  This meant a change of teacher, teaching style, room, and classmates.  She does not want to go to school anymore.  I spoke to the teacher, who told me it was just the transitioning.  She used to love going to school.  I do not think that's the only reason she doesn't want to go. 
pinkbutterfly
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 12:26 PM
I had a similar problem with my daughter who is in 2nd grade.  It was always something... The school nurse would call me like 2 times a week saying that she was feeling ill.  The first few times I picked her up from school, but after about 2 weeks of it I told the nurse that she was fine, and to send her back to class.  I think she was doing it for attention.  I had a long talk with her about her going to the nurses office when she was at school.  I told her that unless she was REALLY sick then she had to stay at school.  The nurse was very understanding about the whole thing, thankfully. I think that you just need to have a talk with her, and see what is going on at school that makes her not want to go.
Bummy
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM
I did take away the tv..I also opened up the windows so she can see the beautiful day she's missing out on.  I know part of her problem is she's slower then the other kids in her class and that it's frustrating for her, but I don't know what to do.  UGH!  Thanks for all the advice.
blairm
by on Mar. 26, 2007 at 2:26 PM
If she is claiming to be sick, take her to the doctor. That will usually clear up the situation pretty clearly. I f she does not want to go to school, talk to their teacher. Explain everything going on. In my experience, if you keep open communication with the teacher, the child becomesmore comfortable in their surroundings and learn to adapt. If your child is pretending to miss school, I believe that discipline is on order and make a lesson out of it. School is a part of life, like it or not. That is what I tell my girls, they need to learn to adapt, just make sure that you are there beside them to encourage them thru the difficult times. Hope this helps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN