Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what do you do if your child has a bad teacher?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM
  • 2 Replies
My six year old has a brand new teacher this year and she is not what i consider a good teacher.  She does not send me papers home, she does not comment on my daughters progress reports, and yesterday i got a phone call from the nurse telling that my daughter had gotten into an ant bed. Well i was thinking that maybe one or two bites on her hand or feet, no they were all over her hair and face.  she had 37 bites on her neck alone.  Not a single one on her legs or hands.  I asked the teacher what she was doing and she had no ideal?? I mean who is watching these children.  I just dont understand, why does a playground had ant beds on them.  I know that it is hard to kill ants but my husband used to work for a pest control company and there is stuff that is safe for kids to be around because he sprayed our sand box at home to keep the ants and flea's out. 
maybe
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kellyn
by on Mar. 27, 2007 at 11:00 AM
Your poor kid!  Those can hurt too! I hope she feels better!

I think that you shoudl talk to the teacher first.  Let her know what your concerns are.  Being a new teacher is always scary for all involved, so keeping the lines of communication open is key to keeping things running smoothly.  If you know any of the parents in your class, talk to them as well. Find out what they are going through with the teacher.  The more information you have going into a meeting the better you are.

Good luck!!
SouthernSAHM
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 9:44 AM
I agree that I would schedule a conference with the teacher.
I can also say that as a substitue teacher at the Elementary school, that it is amazing how quickly young kids can gegt into stuff while you are looking at them. Especially if there are several classes out playing at once. This is a good opportunityf or you to teach your daughter about ant beds, bees, spiders and snakes.
My son is in 2nd grade, my daughter in K5. So in three years I have learned this about teachers.
1) If you do not tell them what you expect and let then either meet that expectation or tell you why they may do it different, then you will be either unhappy or lost. Communicate from the first day of school.
2) Teachers vary widely even within the same grade at the same school in how they teach, grade, send progress reports and discipline.
3) You will not love every teacher your child has and some either you or your child will down right not mesh with. Unless it is a really harmful. derogatory or emotionally stressful situation, it is a good lesson for life, in learning to get along or at least tolerate people, teachers, co workers and bosses that might rub you wrong or vice versa.

My son had an amazing K5 teacher whom he loved and she just really  bonded with my son. This was a blessing and a little bit of a curse. Because no teacher since has been able to live up to that standard and relationship. I tend to judge each one by her and of course no on can reach that height.
Again communication is key. Some parents do not want to hear each day or even once a week. Some parents wouldn't notice if they never knew what was going on. Let your teacher know that you are a parent that is involved, attentive, supportive and active. Once they know that, things will improve and both of you will  be on the same page. ALso remember that she will get a new teacher next year. Could be a great one or it could be one that make this one look better than you thought.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN