Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to work?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM
  • 2 Replies
I am a sahm, a student, nearing the end of my degree, and thinking going back to work. When I was in elementary school I was a latch-key kid but I know laws and things have changed... I know this really depends on the child but how old to start even thinking about letting the child come home after school by themselves for an hour or so?

Any ideas?
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
pinkbutterfly
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:24 PM
I think that it depends on how mature you kids are... how much you trust the fact that they won't have any adult supervision for a few hours.  How old are your kids... if they are under 12 most daycares will pick them up from school for a pretty reasonable price.  They will have adult supervision, and you won't have to worry about things.  Anyway just a suggestion.
onthemove
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:38 PM
First I would check to see if there are any laws in your city regarding how old a child can be before they are allowed to latch key. Then, if your child is old enough, I would take into account how responsible they are. If you feel they are mature enough and can be trusted, give them a few dry runs where you leave them on their own for short periods of time while you some errands. Also, make sure you let them know your rules. In my house, when they get home no friends are allowed over until my husband or I get home; the doors must be locked; they are not to answer the door unless it's family; they are not to answer the phone unless it's family; they have to call me at work to check-in; and if they need to go out, they have to call first to get my approval.

I allowed my oldest to start to latch key at the beginning of sixth grade. My second child is in the dry-run stage and will begin to latch key this coming fall (beginning of sixth grade). I'll let the older two watch their nine year old brother for short periods of time, but I still want adult supervision for him on a regular basis after school and during breaks for a few years yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)