Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Math question

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:53 PM
  • 20 Replies
Hi, I'm new to the group.  My son is 7 and in 1st grade.  I was wondering what other children of this age are learning in math.  I'm blown away at the assignments my son brings home.  Currently he is learning money values and counting change.  Also addition using facts up to 10, making graphs, and collecting data.  Does this sound like 1st grade math to any one else?  Maybe I'm old school.  The math program is called Everyday Mathematics.  Any reply will be appreciated.  Thanks Wapes
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gavsmommy
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:58 PM
Yes, my daughter learned things like that in 1st Grade.  I have been told that      1st Grade is compared to what 3rd Gr was when we were in school.   She also had to learn different shapes and I am not talking about squares or circles, she had to pick out cones, spheres, some sort of prism.  Some of the shapes I could not pick out.
MsKash
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I have a 7 yr old daughter in the first grade. She brings that type of math homework home, plus some. She started learning money valuue in kindergarten. My 8 yr old daughter brings home geometry homework everyday. Todays schooling is way more advanced, than when we were growing up. But they have to be, because the kids are more advanced, than we were.

wapes
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 8:04 PM
Your right it is like 3rd grade math.  I told my husband in a few years my son will need a tutor!!  Some of those shapes I honestly didn't remember.  I wouldn't to able to be on the show "Are you smarter then a 5th grader."Surprised
motomom729
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM
I'm a third grade teacher and am blown away by what I have to teach.  Some of the kids are not mentally ready to tackle some of the critical thinking that is required now.  It makes a teacher's job very difficult and can really affect the kids.  By the middle of the year they get it, but it can take awhile to develop the skills and reasoning required.  I have learned that kids are capable of giving what is expected and demanded of them, somehow.   They are amazing. 
My mom saved some of my work from school and it looks absolutely pathetic compared to what my students do.
nra710
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Yep....that sounds about right....my daughter is in 1st grade, and she is doing that kind of stuff, and more!   They are using Everyday Math, also....it's so confusing to us parents, as it's NOTHING like the math we learned!  They are definately more advanced and demand more out of the kids than when we were in school.  My mom says when I was in kindergarten, many kids were learning (in kindergaten) to write letters, and write their names and stuff like that....now it's basically a requirement for kids entering Kdg.  They demand quite a bit from these kids...I'm just so glad my kids are so bright, and easy learners....I cannot imagine having to deal with this stuff if they were struggling with it!  I have been blessed in that sense!  My 4th grader takes any questions on math to his father....I'm not a math person, so I'm already confused...but it balances out, cuz he's NOT an english person, and his teacher is BIG on writing....they've already had to do three major written project.....like month or more longer projects!  Whew!!!  Sometimes I look at his teacher and say "hey...I've already gotten my education!!!  Why are you making me go through all this again!!"  hehe...like I said, thank God they're pretty good at this on their own and don't require much help at all...I'd go crazy!

Hang in there...when our school switched to Everyday Math, the school sponsored a Math Night, where they played games and did some sample work on this new system, and had the teachers on hand to explain, and answer any and all questions about the new math....that was very helpful.  Perhaps your child's school would be willing to do the same thing.

Nancy

radmom
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 9:27 AM
Sounds exactly what my 1st grade daughter brings home....and then she was learning shapes...okay, not squares and circles...but trapezoids and rhombus...which I can't even spell let alone identify.  She does great in school and Math is the only thing she does "average" in...I think they need to concentrate on teaching them the basics and not going in all of these different directions....what happened to basic 2 + 2 math...
Mi_Chelly
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 9:31 AM
Yup, that seems very normal now.. My son who is 8 in the 1st grade is even learning metric right now! I didn't start metric until middle school!!! My 3rd grader, she is having such a hard time with her math, it is all middle school level to me. I mean, I don't remember doing timed multiplication tables until the 7th grade, and here she is, in 3rd doing timed tests!! her little mind can't handle it and is about to fail her end of year test because of it... My middle school, 5th grade, OMG he is doing Algebra already! I can do alot of Algebra, just not algebra dealing with fractions, so 90% of the time, I can't help him... I feel so bad. I am scared of what the math work will be like as he gets higher in grades!!!
NO1LKME
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 9:40 AM
That is about right.  My son, 8, and in the second grade and it is amazing at what he is doing.  My husband taught 7 and 8th grade math for 10 years and he is now teaching High School advanced math.  He is amazed.  We were preparing our son for the ACT test just last night and he had a shape and I was so taken aback.  I knew it was a prism rectangle but wondered if my son even had a clue.  I showed my husband and asked him to make sure that is what it was, he said yes.  I asked Sterling if he knew what it was and he did.  I asked him how long he had being doing that and he said all year mom.  SO, I think because real world is getting more competitive and tougher and more children graduating college, younger kids are having to grow up too fast and learn things more quickly than we did.

Candie
MomtoMany_of8
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 1:12 PM
Yep. They're learning a lot more advanced things than even I did in their grades.

My third grader is doing multiplication, beginning division, graphing, etc. He did the time and money and such in first grade too. My fifth grader is on fractions, advanced division and beginning pre-algebra (OMG)

Everything is just more advanced nowadays I guess.
Triscuit
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM
I have kids in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade and the math problems at home are driving me crazy. My hubby and I both suck at Math and we cant believe what they are learning already. My 3rd grader doesnt even have multiplication down yet and they are already starting division and I cant figure out how to help him, its like I gotta go back to school just to keep up with my kids. I think its a little to fast for most kids, mine are very smart but they need more time to grasp the concepts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)