Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice for New Kindergartners!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM
  • 3 Replies
2 moms liked this
Hi, my daughter (only child) will be starting kindergarten in the fall.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for parents with kindergartners-to-be?
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gavsmommy
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
The advice that I got from a teacher when my child started school was to get involved as much as you possibly can.  If you are unable to volunteer then make sure that your child's teacher sees your face at least once a week.  Let her know that you are interested in your child's education.  It is a great time so enjoy it, it sure goes fast.
mommy_of_four
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Quoting gavsmommy:

The advice that I got from a teacher when my child started school was to get involved as much as you possibly can.  If you are unable to volunteer then make sure that your child's teacher sees your face at least once a week.  Let her know that you are interested in your child's education.  It is a great time so enjoy it, it sure goes fast.

I have to agree with that.  My oldest will actually be going into 2cd grade in the fall but my 4 yo will be starting kindergarten.  I think that being involved in your childs schooling is the most important thing in the world.  Also, do expect too much from her cause she might get frustrated and you don't want that.  You can also design activities for her to do this summer to kinda get her ready for the year, just so she can get an idea of what to expect.  Good luck, and don't worry, you will be an old hand at the whole school thing before long. 

(Also, walk her to her class but don't let her see you cry!!!  It will only make it worse.  Walking away from my daughter that first day was the hardest thing I have evere done!)
1974gail
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 7:15 PM
I joined the PTO at my sons school. I can talk to teacher if I have any questions. About a week before school start a routine- wake up time, breakfast. Will your daughter walk or ride a bus? If walking take a walk to see how long it would take to get to school. Did you already go to registration yet? Also a week before school they had meet the teacher night, I met the teacher, got to see classroom and schedule of his special classes { gym, library, art,music and computer }. My son is in kindergarten, goes full day,he enjoys school. Good luck, I didn't cry, but the teacher gave a bag with a tissue, a tea bag, cottonball and a sweet poem which I'll put in my sons keepsake. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN