Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Children eating dry ramen noodles

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2007 at 10:46 AM
  • 27 Replies
Has anyone encountered this problem??  I work at my daughters school and I am trying to get Top Ramen banned from the campus.  I read an article long ago about dry ramen noodles being a choking hazard.  Please help me if you have heard this.  A little girl was sent home from school the other day after choking so hard on dry ramen noodles that she could not stop vomiting. 
by on Sep. 5, 2007 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mykidsmommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2007 at 10:50 AM
Why are they eating them dry??  The Ramen noodles I'm familiar with you have to cook or you can buy them in the little cups and add water.  I would try to have them banned, too.
My son is 6 and a few months ago I fixed him some of those (not dry) and he started choking.  My husband had to do the humlic maneuver on him. He was already getting limp.  Scared the crap outta me!!!  He wants to suck the noodles instead of chew them.  So I think that scared him enough not to do that again.  But I agree with you... they're a choking hazard, wet or dry.

psychessun
by Member on Sep. 5, 2007 at 10:51 AM
never heard of such a thing.  I personally love dry ramen noodles!  I don' tknow why, becuase it's a pretty gross food.  I never use the little MSG package of flavor. I cook them in a bit of water and then drain it, then I put a little butter and parm cheese on it, and it's a good, quick substitute for spaghetti if I'm in a hurry to feed my son.

oh, and I smash them up so they're tiny pieces.  he's to young to handle long strands of stuff.
mommybutterfly
by on Sep. 5, 2007 at 10:52 AM
i ate them when i was younger, so did my little bro. i never got choked but i can see how you could. but really, all foods are choking hazards. even goldfish crackers.
Schatziheart
by on Sep. 5, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Quoting mommybutterfly:

i ate them when i was younger, so did my little bro. i never got choked but i can see how you could. but really, all foods are choking hazards. even goldfish crackers.

I agree with your words...I grew up eating ramen noodles...Asian and all pacific-islander eat ramen noodles,all kids in Asia loves eating them,never heard once such an accident but everything are possible to happen,we don't expect them either.....My mom used to chop it small the noodles for us kids...I did the same way for my son and never had a regrets moment about the ramen noodles. Anyway...back to the post about eating dry ramen noodles....who gives the girl the dry noodles and why? why giving dry noodles and not cooked?and since when they serve in school uncook noodles???
JillyPilly
by on Sep. 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM
The school is not serving them the children bring them for snack.  I wondered myself why they enjoy them dry, it seems a bit gross to me. 
noveltysteph
by on Sep. 6, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Quoting psychessun:

never heard of such a thing.  I personally love dry ramen noodles!  I don' tknow why, becuase it's a pretty gross food.  I never use the little MSG package of flavor. I cook them in a bit of water and then drain it, then I put a little butter and parm cheese on it, and it's a good, quick substitute for spaghetti if I'm in a hurry to feed my son.

oh, and I smash them up so they're tiny pieces.  he's to young to handle long strands of stuff.
I smash them, too.  I almost choked as a college student when the noodles were full length.

shelly1972
by on Sep. 6, 2007 at 8:43 AM
i haven't heard of it being a choking hazard but my kids are forever eating them at home that way and it drives me up the wall!! little dry pieces of noodles all over the place.  elementary schools have so many strange rules about food.   maybe someone in the district choked once and now they have a law, maybe just your district. 
JamieH75
by on Oct. 4, 2007 at 2:27 AM
My oldest eats it but cooks it..LOL.. My 2 year old kept on getting into the cubards and getting dried spaghetti noodles..LOL..

Jamie
LocalGurl420
by on Oct. 4, 2007 at 11:42 AM
I'm aware of the choking hazard of dry ramen noodles. But I used to eat them when I was younger but I wouldn't send ramen noodles to school with kids tho. That I'm sure is really crazy.
queenmommy1975
by on Oct. 4, 2007 at 11:58 AM

I have three kids and they ALL take dry ramen to school on occasion (for snack at recess).  I don't see how dry ramen is any more of a choking hazard than apples, hot dogs or peanut butter... Oh wait! Peanut butter has already been banned in most schools... my bad.
I just think accidents happen- period.  Grown people get choked on various foods when they don't chew properly... it happens. 
If we keep "banning" everything then how are we going to teach our children to make good choices as they grow up?!
Just my humble opinion... please don't rip me a new one people...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN