Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problematic teacher...Help

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 6:06 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 7 year old is in first grade. The other day he came home and said that at recess a boy pushed him. (Now to back track just a tad, this is a boy who has been doing this since last year, and for no reason has been mean and bullying my son. It isn't the first time he has pushed him) and he finally very bravely pushed him back, but the boy kept pushing him and he fell down a few times but kept getting back up he fell so hard at one point that he hit the BACK of his head and got a bloody nose. well two other boys came up and started pushing him also and he kept falling to the ground. He couldn't get away from them. WHERE WERE THE TEACHERS? And the other recess watchers. No one came to break it up they finally stopped when a teacher blew the whistle to come inside. He said then couple of his friends seen him in line and said he had a bloody nose and when inside he tried to tell his teacher. She quickly blew him off saying he should have told someone as soon as it happened.......So my son came home thinking he got beat up and the teacher didnt even care. Which i think is exactly it. When i called his teacher and told her what my son said and what happened and how i felt she just made excuses saying she didnt hear him say this or that and she didnt know or realize. well i gave her the names of the boys and my son said the next day that he and the main boy were brought in the office and the boy got one day of recess taken away form him and thats it. I am completely unsatisfied, and extremely pissed off (sorry about the language) at the teacher and how she handled it. But I dont know what else i can or should do? Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
twjbkw
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 6:19 PM
I did not like how my oldest kindergarden teacher treated my son.. And I went to the princepal and had a nice long chat with him.. Because the situation between my son and the teacher had reached a point that I would get pissed off.. Not to mention this teacher was just out and out mean.. I got the impression she was zeroing out my child.. Well to make a long story short my oldest was then switched to another class. and did alot better the rest of the year..
1974gail
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM
Go to the principal and if he can't help,then take them to court. Why should your son get hurt, and  no one there to help him. The recess teachers are responsible for your son's saftey.  Those boys who hurt your son should've been punished more than losing a recess. I don't blame you for being mad. I hope everything turns out well.
Maizy215
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 6:53 PM
 Seesaw

I had a problem similar to this with my oldest daughter (when she was in middle school).  I ended up on a  conference call with the child's parent and the principle.  I would be absolutely livid if this were my child!  Kids have a hard enough time just learning the material.   They don't need the added stress of having to deal with a bully.  I will most likely handle things face to face when my 4 yr old gets into school.  People tend to make less excuses that way.   And you have a better idea of the meaning behind the words as far as body language and tone of voice.   Perhaps a trip to the school (your time permitting, of course) to hang out during the recess time would help.  It could prove to be a real eye-opener (to more than one person) especially when you relay that infomation to the principle.  I can remember when I was out on the playground at recess.  All the teachers just huddled together the whole time talking and didn't pay a dang bit of attention to what was going on with kids.  And I can just about bet that is what was happening the day your son was being picked on. 
Best of luck!

TravelAngelMom
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM
You are way better than me. I mean that just the way I said it, way better. You know what, how dare she tell him that he should have told someone when it happened. How was he suppose to do that with 3 children pushing on him. It is the responsibilty of the yard staff to watch these things. Where were they? I am a mother of a 20, 17 and 9 year old and you don't make phone calls first of all, you make appearances. You go to the school and speak to them. Trust me I learned this the hard way. When you call them on the phone, they will pass it off as not being important. When you physically show up, they move. Let them not move, my next visit will be to the District. Don't play with me when it comes to my children.
wapes
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 7:05 PM

In our school this is a level 3 offense, which means detention for 3 nights.  Yes our school gives detention to 1st graders.  Something similar happen to my son and I went in and spoke with the principle.  If you don't get anywhere with them call the superintendent of the district. 
I'm sorry to hear your son was treated so badly and no one was around to help.... we trust these teachers to protect our children. 

deesypete
by on Apr. 4, 2007 at 7:40 PM
We had a problem with bullying with my oldest daughter.  She was in a private Christian school.  We tried the nice way, with talking to her teachers and such.  When it turned physical we pulled our daughter and our $$$ from the school and put her in public school.

Her being an "easy target" it began again soon after she started her new school.  I was all over it (and having none of it!)  I went straight to the principal the next day and it was stopped immediately.  The girl was written up in her file and disciplined.  The teacher was also "talked to" about the situation and made aware that it wouldn't be tolerated again.  The girl "hated" my daughter from then on, but she was powerless over her after that.  In 5th grade they were together again and I was room mom that year.  I made a point to be there as much as possible and made it clear that I was watching her and wouldn't put up with any of her crap towards my daughter. 

I was soooo thankful that they (she has a twin) aren't at the Middle School with her.  They are in another Middle School district! 

I'm hard nose when it comes to bullies.  I LOVE my elementary school because it really is a no bully zone.  They can try, but it is NOT TOLERATED and they find that out the hard way!   

I agree with some of the others who commented....if you don't get satisfaction from the teacher or the principle take it to the district board.   Schools should be a safe place for our kids - not a battle zone! 

Give your son some extra hugs and keep telling him it's not his fault - he did nothing wrong. 

Denise
Amandad1978
by on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM
I am with the mom that said show up.  My children's teachers and principal all know me, in a positive way.  It usually works best if they know you before there are problems, but you don't have that choice.  Also, you can bet if you are having problems with a particular teacher that there are other parents having problems too.  So, be vocal, get heard and seen.  Good luck.
supermom56
by on Apr. 8, 2007 at 1:30 PM
I am also with the mom who said show up. I had similar problems and worse with our school and had to go all the way to the school board to have the problem handled properly and I volunteer at the school frequently to this day so that they are constantly reminded that I will not handle them mistreating my kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)