Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How many hours per day for Kindergarten?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM
  • 53 Replies

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I was wondering how many hours per day your DS or DD will spend in Kindergarten? Our Kindergarten is only two-and-a-half hours per day. That seems like such a short time! My DD will be starting after lunch. They do not bring Kindergarteners to the lunch room. The morning class ends before lunch and the afternoon class starts after. If I want her to have school lunch, I have to bring my DD before class and sit with her.  I knew they didn't have all day school, but I guess I was expecting 4 hours or so. My DD starts on Sept 9th. 11:45-2:15

by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Here in GA it's regular school hours.  My middle son goes from 8:15-2:45, Monday - Friday.

*God may delay, but is never departed*

momof2angels84
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 5:16 PM

we have all day, they eat lunch as a class and everything I personally think its too long for them. I used to go half day when i was in school they just started all day a few years ago here

hill2
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM

yeah thats how long half day kindergarten is. My son was all day though so he started at 840A and ended at 310P. He is in 1st grade now though. My 4 yr old just started a Montessori early k program and she also goes all day 830A-245P We don't really have many half day kindergartens here. Some parent opt for half day here but its usually for kids who they feel all day is too much for.

At first all day is long but after a few weeks my son adapted well and loved it! He learned so much too just amazing. My daughter is still ttreansitioning so yea the days are kinda long but because of her age they get a rest period in her class.

cabyrum
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:03 PM

We have half day here - he goes from 8:05-11:30, so 3 1/2 hours roughly. It's enough I think at this point. The afternoon class starts at 11:35 and goes until 2:50 I think. No lunch so the pm kids have to eat prior to school, though they do have 20 mins of snack/recess a day.

baby growth

baby

qkforever
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Our school does the same thing as your but is a hour longer.  Our dd goes from 8 until 11:25. The morning group can get breakfast.  The morning and afternoon can get lunch if a parent is with them.  I wish they went at least another hour because around 30 to 45 minutes is playing, snack, lining up and other little things that add up.  My dd is tired after just a day like that I couldn't image a full day for her.  

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Full day here, 8-2:15

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Alexsmom04
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Where I am in Indiana my son goes from 8:40 a.m to 3:00 p.m.

farm_mom
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM

My son goes full day.  8:15am-3pm.   He catches the bus at 6:25am and gets home at 4:30pm.   

Josef1129
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Drop off is 745a and pick up is 245p, next year for 1st grade pick up will not be until 3p.  Our school starts with 3K so we stager drop-off/pick-up times since "we are getting too big for our britches", lol.  We are one of only two private schools in the area to be growing-most of our classes are full this year-horray!!!!

Crystal, SAHM to Josef age 5.8yrs, 41lbs, SK Monterey in Daddy's 2004 Chevy Impala, Britax Regent or Britax Parkway in Momma's 2005 Honda Accord, depending on his mood :-P

6lilprinces
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 2:09 AM

my will go to full day kinder 8am-250pm. we live directly in front of the school, so it takes us 2mins. to get home.

he went to half day pre-k last year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN