• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

`PTO` moms.........

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hiya :)

Is anyone here on their Pto board at school? I am new to it this year...and while I work FT outside the house,,,,,I love the xtra work too.....

anyone else?

Fun Photo Contests for MOMS, Kids, and Funny Stuff!

ENTER HERE:

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelRT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I was in the PTO last year my son was in kindergarten and they just seemed to all be snobby! UGH! I think it is where I live too. I think b/c I was new to the school they really did not want to include me much. I did not decide to be involved this year. Instead I plan to help my sons class more! : )

Sorry I am not much help. I really hope you have a better time! Good Luck and have fun! : )

maciymommieof3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

thats so unfortunate that is how you felt.....Heck,as far as I am concerned ...we are all in it together....we want is best for the students....which might happen to be our own kids :)

Quoting AngelRT:

I was in the PTO last year my son was in kindergarten and they just seemed to all be snobby! UGH! I think it is where I live too. I think b/c I was new to the school they really did not want to include me much. I did not decide to be involved this year. Instead I plan to help my sons class more! : )

Sorry I am not much help. I really hope you have a better time! Good Luck and have fun! : )

ENTER HERE:

iheartgaia
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM

i went to my very first pto meeting a few weeks ago.  my sons in K.  i left feeling very sad.  everyone was associated with the school & had been working together for a while now.  they didnt really even know how to handle me being there as they dont ever have parents come.  a couple of them do have children in the school, but they are all teachers, etc.  ive been processing the whole thing & next tues (next meeting) i got tons of questions for them.  ive decided it is my personal mission to get the parents involved.  like i said, my son is in K and ive got another at home thats 18 months, so i will be at this school for the next 10 years.  i hope to help build an amazing community in that time.  so, i welcome any advice & suggestions myself!  :)

maciymommieof3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

good job momma......that was me last year....I "just" felt like that...come to find out now...In my school,,,we want moooooorrrrrreeeee parent involvement....that is the only way a pto can be successful! We only have 1 teacher representive...and of course Dr. Brooks (our principal) and then the executive board...

President

Co president

Secretary

Treasurer

Quoting iheartgaia:

i went to my very first pto meeting a few weeks ago.  my sons in K.  i left feeling very sad.  everyone was associated with the school & had been working together for a while now.  they didnt really even know how to handle me being there as they dont ever have parents come.  a couple of them do have children in the school, but they are all teachers, etc.  ive been processing the whole thing & next tues (next meeting) i got tons of questions for them.  ive decided it is my personal mission to get the parents involved.  like i said, my son is in K and ive got another at home thats 18 months, so i will be at this school for the next 10 years.  i hope to help build an amazing community in that time.  so, i welcome any advice & suggestions myself!  :)

ENTER HERE:

Kestrel1
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Last year I was preggo, and homeroom mom for both of my boys classes.

My biggest complaint was that a 5$ donation at the beginning of the year covers ONE party, and you will be expected to coordinate 5 or more.  I spent close to $200 over the course of the year making up what other parents did not cover, donate towards or help with.

I volunteered for every school event yet most parents could not be bothered to ask what we needed, if we needed money or if they could be of assistance, yet half the moms in the class wanted to be chaperones for the field trips.

It was as always an awesome year, our teachers filled in the gaps and made it happen, our administrators were available, awesome and ready to make all comers at home, even when *like me* they show up punk, tattooed, pregnant, different than expected, bilingual and battling for the rights of their non christian, not mainstream students, even in the middle of mainstream jones-ville texas.

It's all about being determined to go above and beyond the call of duty to make your kids school experience the best it can be.  Regardless of whether people like you at first sight or no.

pinkysmommy720
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM

I am not on a PTO, but am on a PTA(both at local and council levels).I am Treasurer for my kids school PTA and then webmaster for council.

BarbWAHM
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I guess I'm not even sure what a PTO is. 

I am a member of our School's PTA.  We have a very active PTA - our goal is one PTA member for every child in school.  I think were at about 85% last year.  We even scolicit to the local businesses to join.  There is an $18 fee to register as a member. 

Last year, one of my son's friend's mom, told me she thought the PTA Board members seemed a little like a clique, but I never got that feeling.  They were always looking for volunteers to help out at PTA fundraisers and PTA sponsored events and always very friendly with me (and thankful for my help) whenever I was able to pitch in.  As you mentioned, they may have just gotten used to not having much help from other parents, but perhpas once they see your dedication they'll loosen up a little bit.  Maybe you can be the driving force to additional parent involvement. 

One of our issues seems to be reaching out to the parents that do not speak fluent English.  It seemed a problem to me that all correspondence was sent home in English.  It seems that we should be able to locate someone locally, either within the school system or not, who could translate the materials into languages represented without our district, so that we could be sure these parents are being included. 

Barb Stork (Mom to 2 boys, ages 6 and 3)

KC_Cherome
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I wanted to be more involved at my daughter's school last year, but with my home daycare business it just didn't work out. This year I have an assistant so I can be involved, she's in 2nd this year. I signed up for the PTO, but our first official meeting isn't until the 11th of Sept. I hope they aren't snobby or cliquey, I don't fit in well with people like that and I'd hate to not be involved this year. Wish me luck.

* Love is a comforting hug on a difficult day * -Anonymous

* Remember! The conduct of the parents is an education to the children. * -Thoughts for Today by Brahma Kumaris

starlight1968
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I've been on the PTA/PTO board at my dd's school since she was in 1st grade, volunteered a lot in K.  She is now in 6th so that is close to 7 years now. 

I know it may seem to some to be cliqish but when you gather together and do lots of things together during/after school we tend to become pretty good friends.  BUT don't let that keep you from joining as we love love new people who we hope will become part of that friend group too. 

Also, there really should be more parents on the board/staff then teachers as the PTA/PTO have a rule that states that, but sometimes it's the only way to survive as parents seem to be getting involved less and less these days.  They're always quick to volunteer or send stuff and money tho and I am very thankfull for that.  So, if you can take over a position tell them.  You can also leave a note for the PTA people in the office and it will get to the right person..we usually have a "mailbox" to put such stuff in.

Also, even if you work there are plenty of times/things PTA/PTO can use you...days and evenings! 

OH wanted to add too if you need someone to translate notes and things to other languages always ask the office.  Sometimes they or the district will have someone who can do it.  We have 91 different languages spoken in our district (sorta small too ) so we are always asking a parent to help out even if it's just to translate for us...  We've had letters go home in spanish, arabic, chinese etc.  it's interesting really.

maciymommieof3
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM

treasurer.......ewww...better you than me....that one scares me!

Quoting pinkysmommy720:

I am not on a PTO, but am on a PTA(both at local and council levels).I am Treasurer for my kids school PTA and then webmaster for council.

ENTER HERE:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)