Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any nervous little habits???

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM
  • 2 Replies

Our son just turned 7 a week ago.  He is a 2nd grader.  We've noticed him making this noise pretty frequently.  It's like a uummm, almost a hum, but a quick humm then he stops.  If he's playing leggos, or something like that just on his own...sometimes when walking from room to room, you'll hear a little mmmm, when he walks by.  I mentioned it to him and he just said idk why I do that.  He isn't bothered by it at all. 

The other thing is blinking.  He has been to the eye dr. and got reading glasses a yr ago.  But there are no new changes with his sight or glasses.  The thing is he blinks a lot now.  Like a nervous blink. He sometimes blinks 5 times quickly when looking around or trying to explain something to us.

Anyone have a child doing little things like this or have a child who use to do this kind of thing then stopped? He's my little guy and I know as we grow we do things like these, then they disappear.  Really I just want to see if any other kids out there are doing kind of the same little new things...advice appreciated.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
semazani
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Our oldest son has had numerous quirks that he has done over the years....blinking the eyes was one of them.

Currently, our youngest (2nd grade) cracks his fingers when talking to people...especially teachers.  He also made this sound in his throat that we called his froggy sound....after several months and the sound increasing, we told him the froggy needed to go away.  He still does it sometimes, but we just say no froggy and he remembers.  He has vocal nodules though, so sounds like that cause more harm for him.

We just let it go when they have quirks usually.  Our oldest started the blinking just before school started again this year (he is 8th grade), but it seems to be subsiding again.

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (12), Zachary (11), Trevor (11), Alex (9), and Nicholas (8).

mommybesant
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM

my daughter is also 7 the only thing that she does and I always tell her to stop is suck on her hair- I have no idea why she does that but it is annoying to me- she has never really sucked her thumb or anything and she is constantly putting things in her mouth and sucking on them- I also have a 2 year old and a newborn- not sure if she is acting out to get attention!!

blowing bubbles

Lisa Besant

Work at Home United

http://www.workathomeunited.com/wahmlisaof3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)