Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

1st grader writing letters backwards

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

my 1st grader still writes some letters backwards. he writes his e's p's and sometimes his b's and d's backward. when he did this in kindgergarden the teacher said that it was just because he was just learning to write the letters. i haven't talked to his new teacher yet, parent teacher conferences are in 2 weeks, but i am worried that he might have a learning disabilite or something. sould i be consered or am i over reacting. not matter what i am going to talk to his new teacher about it.

by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jj_horn2004
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I wouldnt wait until parent teacher conference to talk to her. It sounds like something my husband had when he was a kid and had to get a certain pair of glasses to correct it....dyslexia? Is that what its called!?! lol Anyways, if your concerned about it just go ahead and call her and see what she recommends!

Group Owner of Sale Your Items To Other Tulsa,OK Moms ~
http://www.cafemom.com/group/22715

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers

PSReal
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about it for a second.  I read a book back when my daughter was in Kingergarten called "Yardsticks" that discusses all of the ways kids think and learn through the elementary years.  This was one of the markers for kindergarten and first graders (usually worked out by the end of first).

I had it particularly bad when I was in kindergarten, but they always said it was because I was left handed.  However, both of my kids did it (my son just started first and still does it) and they are both right handed.  When my son writes 9's, he often makes them p's.  I will always say, "so 5 plus 4 equals P?", then he'll look at it and say "oops!".  Not a big deal at all.  When I volunteered in my son's kindergarten class last year, just about everyone was doing it.  I commented to the teacher that I was glad Nick wasn't the only one who wrote his letters backwards and she said "oh no, they all do it." 

COMPLETELY NORMAL!

my3girlshat
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I think it's normal at this stage. Both my girls do it still every once in awhile and they are in 2nd and 1st grades. If you are still concerned, I would definetly still talk to his teacher.  There is a saying that one of the kids in my oldest class said when they were in Kindergarten that seems to have helped both of them with writing their lower case b's and d's correctly.

b's have bellies, d's have backpacks. AJ still writes them backwards along with her p's sometimes too.

purestambition
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM

It is completely "developmentally normal"  It usually goes away by the end of first grade.  My daughter is doing it too and this is what her teacher said! So, don't worry about it!

avonandie
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 8:07 AM

my son does it too and in speaking with his kindergarten teacher (last year) and his eye doctor (he wears glasses) they both said it's normal.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Don't worry about this! My daughter wrote b, d and p backwards until half way through 2nd grade ( and she is gifted).

Robin in Chicago

gradenu
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

By all means - talk to your child's teacher if you have concerns - mainly because as a Teacher I am a firm believer in open communication between Parent and Teacher.  However, it is not uncommon - I have even seen some children up into the 2nd grade reverse some letters or numbers. 

It is also NOT a sign of dyslexia.  I have 1 child (now 20) who was diagnosed with Dyslexia and my daughter (7 years) who is an undiagnosed Dyslexic.   Reversals were something that they USED to claim was a sign of Dyslexia - and I feel was the reason my oldest went until he was 11 before he was diagnosed.  One of the most telling symptoms of Dyslexia is simply difficulty in learning letter sounds and reading.  If your child learned his letters (identifying and the sounds), is able to identify sight words without trying to sound them out everytime (the, and, etc)  and is reading grade level books fairly fluently than you shouldn't have too much to worry about.  Another sign is if your child is having some difficulties and a parent had difficulties as a child as well - since it is highly inherited.  My ex struggled in school with reading and 2 of our 3 children inherited it.  Of course, I also want to make it clear that I am by no means an expert on Dyslexia - I simply have had some experience with it and have done some research on it.

And please Quoting jj_horn2004 do not think I was criticizing you in any way - I simply wanted to take the opportunity to correct a common misconception - especially after the awful experience I went through with my oldest son who spent so many years suffering in school while we all thought he was simply being lazy!

Quoting jj_horn2004:

I wouldnt wait until parent teacher conference to talk to her. It sounds like something my husband had when he was a kid and had to get a certain pair of glasses to correct it....dyslexia? Is that what its called!?! lol Anyways, if your concerned about it just go ahead and call her and see what she recommends!

anamacsmommy
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

My 1st grader sometimes writes her numbers backwards. I think she maybe rushing to get it done so I have had a talk with her and it has seemed to work

April
Mommy to
Anastasia - 6
Mackenzie - 2

Julie42301
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My son's 1st grade teacher had a sign in the classroom that was a picture of a bed with the word bed written on it so they could remember the proper way to make bs and ds. I was told it's normal in 1st grade.

mom27g
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM

My son did it last year and still every once in a while does it (he's in 2nd grade now) The teacher said it was completely normal and they will grow out of it.

Pam
Mom to 2 boys, wife to a wonderful husband 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN