Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meet Mykaela

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 5:38 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 315 Total Views
I wanted to post a little about Mykaela and the type of cancer she has so everyone could get to know us a little better.  Mykaela was diagnosed at 23 months with Medulablastoma, a form of malignant brain cancer.  She had one surgery to remove an egg size tumor from her fourth ventricle in her brain.  We had also found through MRIs that she also had the tumor throughout her spinal column with a very large, inopperable tumor in the base of her spine.  Devastated doesn't even seem to describe how we felt.  At the time I was 7 and a half months pregnant with our second child.  Mykaela at that time was also only 16 lbs.   We decided to take Mykaela to the Jimmy Fund in Boston.  It was the best decision we have ever made.  After 26 months of high dose chemo, interthecal chemo and at times a very sick little girl, she is in remission and doing great.  Mykaela is learning to talk, has learned how to walk again, is overcoming being deaf on the right side and low vision with her right eye.  She has had more operations than I can count for ports and her eye.  Through everything she has been an amazing little girl with so much strength and determination.  Her little sister happily helps Mykaela with all her therapies and is truly her best friend.  We will visit the JImmy Fund for a very long time to come, first every three months for MRIs.  Now our current battle is Potty Training and starting preschool in the fall.  I have become a true believer in prayer through all of this and have also learned that I have an amazing family and the best friends.
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
xjustdizzyx
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2007 at 10:00 AM
I am so happy to hear that she is in remission! That's wonderful.  I am so sorry for everything you've had to deal with!  I'm glad that she has her little sister to help her and one day she'll be helping her little sister!  What a great story and I will pray for your family that this monster is out of your lives forever!
JaynaMarie
by on Apr. 26, 2007 at 11:52 AM
Seems children can withstand so much!  I think your family is amazing and truly an inspiration.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)