Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transferring Care?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 245 Total Views
Has anyone had to or chosen to transfer their child's care from one doctor/hospital to another? How did you do it? How quickly was it done?

Olly has been treated like a second class, forgotten citizen for the LAST time. We are DONE with those docs and that hospital. Leaving a kid in the playroom for 6 hours because you forgot to run his labs is ridiculous, then walking out and not talking over results and asking ME to deaccess his port myself is unacceptable.
We will be having to travel 6 hours for treatment now....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jawzy7
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Wow, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such bad service! 

We did have to transfer our care from Ft. Carson CO, to Ft. Stewart, GA because of a military transfer move. For us it went pretty smoothly since we had great doctors in CO that took care of sending our son's medical history to the new doctors in GA.

Although our doctors here haven't been as awesome as in CO, one in particular, let us leave without getting any answers one day when my son's ANC was only 200! And we had been there for 8 hours, getting IVIg, chemo and labs. Needless to say we hardly ever see that doctor anymore unless absolutely necessary and filed a complaint against him.

I hope everything works out for you. Did you try to speak with the practice manager? or head doctor? I'd go to the hospital manager if I had to, that is unacceptable! 

PenelopesMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

oh wow...that's AWFUL!!! I'm not sure how to do a transfer, but I have to figure it out soon, too, because we're moving in the summer. I'm with the poster above, you really should contact/report their service so that others don't suffer like Olly did. :(

NanaCheryl
by Member on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I just want you to know that we drove two hours to our clinic~ Would arrive at 8am.....and not leave on any given day till around 5pm.  That can be normal.  What isnt normal is asking you to deaccess your childs port.  

Are these the nurses AND the doctors or just the nursing staff?  I would call and discuss this with someone before leaving for another hospital 6 hours away.  If there is emergency etc you really need to be close to oncologist.  

Believe....I have some horror stories to tell you.  One overdose of IV pentamindine--Full adult dose at age two.  Argued with the post op nurse for over 45 minutes that something was very wrong.  Kaeden went into congestive heart failure.  Spent 3 days in coma in the PICU.  I have more like that. Once a shift supervisor ran his hemoglobin for over four hours. Thankfully nothing happened but it increases his risk of having a reaction. One other time... Another nurse told me to go home with him--he was fine even though I told her something was very wrong after having a platelet transfusion. He ended up having a reaction.   So I get it.  IF its the nurses...I banned them from being around Kaeden. Your allowed.  If its a doctor~ everyone...and I mean EVERYONE has a supervisor.  Start complaining.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)