Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm thinking about becoming a volunteer...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

but I want to get as much info as I can from all perspectives before I commit myself to doing this. I want to work with the 0-3 age group at either University of Illinois Chicago medical campus or the Chicago Children's Hospital. I would really love to hear some of your stories, what I should be prepared for, what to expect, your feelings on the volunteers- that sort of thing. I don't want to let these people down because I wasn't prepared to take on this responsibility, you know? Any information would help greatly because I have just never been in this type of situation before, but I do feel a strong calling to it. I am GREATLY blessed to have a healthy child, and wish to help families who aren't as lucky. If I offended anyone by the previous statement, I apologize. I just really want to help!

-Heather

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
kiralyn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM

i loved the volunteers at our hospital. i was about an hour from home and didnt have anyone there while my daughter was going through her transplant. they would come in, and stay with her for an hour or so, i could get a shower, or just take a break. they were a great help for me. as far as what i expected, just that they be nice, and patient because alot of sick kids are very attached to their parents because theyre with them 24/7 and often times in situations where they are scared. we had volunteers who came and stayed in our room and played, then also ones who came around with toys or games etc. i hope you enjoy it if you decide to do it :)

"and thats the gotcha gotcha.."wink mini

Laylasmom247
by on Jan. 10, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I am sorry I am so late posting, I have been MIA for awhile for emotional reasons.....

I love our volunteers. They play with the kids, help keep the toys clean, and at times have sat with my daughter so I could get a break. If we need anything they get it, like drinks or snacks for my daughter. Honestly as long as you are a caring person and want to help you should do fine as a volunteer. If you are volunteer where kids are stuck in their hospital rooms you could always bring in a craft or something for the child to do. Its hard when the kids are stuck in the room and can't go out and play with others so visitors help brighten the day at times, when they are feeling well anyway. Good luck with volunteering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)