Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was Starbuck Saved By "Seraphs"?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 731 Total Views

The Seraphs were an alien race in the original Battlestar Galactica series from 1978/79, and its spinoff series,Galactica 1980. They were never expressly referred to by name in the series, were called "Seraphs" in the scripts for the episodes in which they appear.
The Seraphs were a noncorporeal race of sentients who first show up in the two-part episode "War of the Gods" when they take a largely unexplained interest in the well-being of the humans in the Rag-Tag Fleet.

They show up again at the conclusion of the "Terra" story ("Greetings from Earth," "Baltar's Escape", and "Experiment in Terra") where their representative, "John" assists Captain Apollo on a mission which ultimately proves of little worth to the Galactica, but which saves the lives of all the humans on the planet Terra.

They next showed up in the Galactica 1980 episode "

The Return of Starbuck" which explained the origins of the mysterious Doctor Zee (Himself all or partially Seraph). They were also to figure heavily in the episode, "Wheel of Fire"
The Wheel of Fire was scripted but the series was cancelled before the episode was produced. The script for the Wheel of Fire reveals that Starbuck is eventually rescued from the planet by the inhabitants of the Ship of Lights and became one of them.

Ok,
In the original series (according to Wiki), the Lords of Kobol were actually the Seraphs. They manipulated human development and generally went around acting like divine beings. They traveled in what was called a "Ship of Light".
The "beings of light" we're seeing on BSG are obviously NOT the final five models(we know who 4 of them are now) so who are these "beings of light"? The Lords of Kobol? AKA Seraphs?

We never got a convincing explanation of how - or exactly why - Cylon centurions figured out how to go human. That five models are secret even from the other seven implies that the human Cylons were NOT created by the centurions; logically, they were all almost certainly created by a much more powerful third party who “saved” the Cylons and then opted to keep five models in reserve. Had they been created by the toasters, a) they would not now be the masters over the centurions, and b) this issue would not be a mystery to the Cylons.

So here are some possibilities:

1. The “Leoben” we saw in the Maelstrom episode, bringing Starbuck to her understanding , is actually the Cylon God, one of the original Lords of Kobol - most likely one of an advanced alien race (Seraphs), responsible for the human model of Cylons. It’s also quite possible that the Lords were responsible for creating the human race to start with, a point alluded to many times.. that at one time, humanity broke with its creators in much the same way as the Cylons later broke with the humans. Everything’s happened before, remember.

2. There is a long-standing conflict between the Cylon God and the other Lords of Kobol, one that we’re not yet privy to, but that has a DIRECT bearing on why one human tribe broke away from the others to go to Earth (another backstory that we’re not aware of yet, but which would be important to the final push to Earth story).

3. As Moore and others have said, season 4 (the start of act three) is going to be about “what exactly it means to be a Cylon”. We’re going to learn in season 4 that both sides - human and Cylon - are being manipulated to play out an old feud by powerful third parties.

I truly think this is were season 4 will go, it's all so plausable, and closely follows the original BSG storyline.

...and I'm sorry this was so long, but I really wanted to know what the rest of you thought of this theory/storyline and wanted to give you as much info to chew on as possible....Laughing

Traci

by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
briarraindancer
by on Mar. 31, 2007 at 5:52 AM

Hubby and I had been wondering about the seraphs too.  But I think their introduction into the current BSG depends entirely on how many more seasons we get.  I dont think Ron or David would start a storyline they couldn't finish.

But on that note, I have to say that the lack of a conclusion on the seraph story in the original BSG sucks!!!  I don't want my beloved new show to go out the way the original did.... a crappy imitation hanging on even though hardly anyone watched it.  And I did, which is why I can say it was crappy!!!

And Traci, thanks for doing all this work so I don't have to!!

~~Briar

6to20
by Group Owner on Apr. 2, 2007 at 5:27 PM

I agree the original BSG was a bit cheezy and they ended it horribly, but I was a fan none the less Tongue out

I actually enjoy scouring the Internet for whatever bits of BSG rumor and information I can find, but I can use all the help I can get and I'm so happy to be able to have a forum that is only for adults, all other BSG groups I've seen have been taken over by teens who flame each other and ruin whatever intelligent conversation the adults try to have.

Should we make your husband an honorary CafeDad so you don't have to keep channeling him?  LOL!!!

Traci
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)