Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

recipe - southern style whole wheat biscuts and gravy

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 486 Total Views

Can't believe in a good breakfast group this isn't here (unless it's just uninteresting *lol*). Made this for breakfast this morning. My daughter liked playing in the flour.

You'll need 4 the biscuits

4 cups flour (I used 3 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat)

2/3 cups shortening

1 1/3 cup yogurt

2 tbs baking powder

3 tsp salt

preheat the oven to 425. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a big bowl. Add the shortening and blend thoroughly by hand with the flour mixture. Add the yogurt, and go ahead and blend in the same way. I kneed dough exactly 10 times to activate the gluten in the flour a bit, but not too much. Then I seperated the dough into six biscuits, in no fancy shape, and baked for about 15 minutes. It could have used another 2 or so, so let's say17 minutes.

You'll need for the gravy:

5 tbs margarine

4 tbs wheat flour

salt

pepper

2 cups milk

in a medium sauce pan melt your margarine over medium heat. remove pan from heat. stir in the flour. it's gonna lump, but persist and it'll smoothe out. a whisk is best for mixing the gravy, but a fork will do if it's all you've got. put it back on the heat and stir/cook until there is a little bit of a bubble (this will take no time at all). slowly add the milk, stirring all the time to avoid clumping. the thing i noticed about gravy is that everyone always whines about how hard it is. Really,it just takes a certain level of commitment to a job well done. stir continually the whole time and it will be smooth and rich and perfect. cook until you get the slightest amount of bubbling over that medium heat. Remove from heat immediately and serve over the biscuits... any other recipes that are similar?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)