Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I HAVE KNOW CLUE BUT I WANT TO

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

OK SO I MOVED TO NORTHERN CALI (FARMLAND) AND NOW WE HAVE THIS HOUSE WITH ABOUT 7 OR SO ACRES (OMG) SO MOVING FROM THE CITY TO THIS I FIGURED I CAN PLANT SOME VEGGIES OR TREES AND MAKE THE BEST OF IT RIGHT.  I'D LIKE TO ANYWAYS.  BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT VEGGIES, PLANTS, TREES OR WHATEVER ELSE IS GOOD TO START PLANTING OR TO GET READY TO PLANT FOR.  SO PLEASE LADIES HELLLLLPPPPPPP I LOOK BACK THERE AND THE KIDS LOVE TO RUN AND ANIMALS WOULD GO GREAT BUT I HAVE 2 LIL ONES AND A HUBBY IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.  THANX LADIES.hugs

by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jewjewbee
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:19 AM

I'm not sure what zone you are in, but I understand No.Cali can get quite cold in the winter. So you may have to wait till spring to do anything. Get on the websites for Park Seed, Harris Seed, Stark Bros. Nursery and Jung Seed Catalogs and request a catalog. You'll start getting all kinds of things in the mail and just start reading them. Go with what their recommendations are for your area and you should be fine. Or you can even ask questions on their websites. I would think with that rich farmland you should be able to grow anything and everything. And if you know you will have that property forever, planting trees is wonderful. Nuts and Fruits, berry bushes and perennials like Asparagus and Strawberries. Anything up to a Zone 7 I think would do good in your area depending on how much work you want to put into it.

MarciS
by Member on Nov. 30, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I don't live in your area, I live in PA, but would love to have some acres. I live in a small town and only have 3 small lots. I do have chickens though. If you can handle adding a little extra work, chickens are definately worth getting.

poetmom4
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I would say the first thing to do is to decide what you like to eat fruit and vegetable wise. And do you want to preserve or can any of those things? That way you'll know what to plant and an idea of how much. Obviously if you just want enough to eat fresh then you won't have to plant a whole bunch of each things. If you want to can, freeze, or dry any of it then you'll need to plant more.

Definitely get some seed catalogs and read the descriptions of the things you're interested in growing to find the ones that you think would be best for you. There's also a great website I recommend: www.idigmygarden.com/forums there are a lot of very experienced gardeners there from all over the place that love to help so feel free to ask them anything.

Good luck and happy gardening!

P.S. let the kids help too, they love to play in the dirt. Maybe even give them their own garden space as they get older.

www.daniellemariepeck.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)