Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New To Group

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

Greetings!

Every January I start thinking about digging into the warm, moist soil.  I am a lover of winter, but so enjoy spring planting.  This year, my plans are uncertain.  I am in a new home in IN(renting) this year but may be relocating to CO.  I am thinking about container gardening.  I dabbled in it last summer with some success....not what I would have liked.  Are there any other container gardeners out there who can provide some guidance?

Thanks!

Di

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wanderingmuse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM

This will be my second year container gardening veggies.  I had moderate success last year, but am trying again!  We can learn together.  What are you growing?  I did tomatoes, hot peppers, and broccoli last year.  The peppers did really well, the tomatoes so-so, and the broccoli was a dud (apparently it needs more space than I realized).  I'm thinking of repeating these 3 and adding a few more.  Oh!  And I did herbs in containers last year that worked our ok.

sistyugler
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I live in Fl and container garden every year. I've had good luck with tomatoes and jalapeno and green peppers . Right now I've got cherry tomatoes and Cabbage growing and it's going down to 34 degrees tonight but I've got the tomatoes covered, The cabbage likes cold weather.

I understand that Co. is quite cold right now, when are or wiil you be moving? I don't think that I can be of much help due to the fact that I'm a Southern gardner, maybe some Northern gardners will be able to help.

dehh68
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Wanderingmuse...I did tomatoes with moderate success (they were smaller than expected and produce less yeild but were good), banana peppers (they did well!) and cucs (which I would rate as a failure as they only produced about 6 before pooping out).  I do think I'll try tomaotes again, as well as cucs.  I am going to do an herb garden too....and start from plants, not seed.  In the herb garden, I will probably plant basil, oregano, chives, mint and some catnip for my kitty!

sis...I envy your looooong growing season!  Seeing as it's hovering in the single-digits here canned is the closest I can get to real tomatoes that taste good (not a fan of the hydroponics).  I am hoping to movein June, so I may be OK for a short experimental growing season in CO.  Must investigate!

Thanks for your replies!

Di

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)