Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Desi_Momof4
by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Well, I am still a rookie. I don't know a whole lot about gardening although I've made small attempts over the last 7 or 8 years. It started with just bell peppers and tomatoes. Sometimes they did well and sometimes they didn't. Last year I tried to do a larger garden. I had tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, eggplant, pumpkin, zucchini, and green beans. Some things worked out, some didn't. This year I'm going full force. I started a compost. I've expanded my garden. I'm trying to learn all I can to make this successful. I have several reasons. Health, cost, personal hobby, good teaching experience for my children. My husband is very supportive and tills the ground for me as well as makes suggestions. The kids are so excited to see the fruits and vegetables grow. I'm happy to be able to share my experience with family and friends.

kerbear79
by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Hello all! I'm new to the group and NEW to gardening!  This is my first year for a veggie garden & I'm so excited.  I've done some research on the net but also glad to find this group.  I built a raised 8' x 4' bed.  I filled it with top soil and now just waiting (not so patiently) for my seedlings to grow.  I plan to grow tomatoes (cherry and early girls), cucumber, lettuce, and some herbs(basil, parsley, cilantro, chives).  I'm limited on space but I'm also wanting to plant bell peppers and cabbage.  I might end up putting the tomatoes in large pots.  I do have one question....when are the seedlings big enough to be planted??  Wait, make that two lol...I've heard to use straw as "mulch" that it helps keep some pests away from plants because they don't like to walk on it...is this true? what should I use?

bsflower13
by on Apr. 27, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Quoting zoeysmom331:

Well, this is my third year, but the first two I didn't do much. My first year, I only had a little garden space, about 2ft by 8 feet so I only got some cucumbers and carrots out of it. Last year, the garden in our new house was so overgrown I was only able to clear out enough space to plant a tomato and a green pepper plant (I also attempted pumpkins and watermelon, but that didn't work.

This year I'm going all out. We're tearing up that old overgrown garden and starting from scratch. I'm expecting my second baby, and I want to make homemade baby food for this little one. I want my family to start eating healthier, fresh fruits and veggies right from the garden. I'm also learning how to do home canning, so I want to make fresh things that I could go buy at the store.

Check out my site it will be very useful to you. Check it out often and you will see a ton more info getting added often, I feel very similar to you and that's why I started this site.

http://www.growitsaveituseit.com/

http://www.growitsaveituseit.com/

Brenda Snyder

ladybugLive,laugh,love

SwitchbladeMama
by on Apr. 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Oh I probably should have posted a little intro here first!

I did a lot of gardening as a child, with my mom, but this is my first time gardening as an adult!

We live in a townhome that backs to the woods, and it just so happens that our yard area is a deer trail, so all the actual fruits and veggies I'm planting (minus rhubarb) will be in containers so the deer aren't tempted to browse. 

We basically tore out all our old landscaping... 100 buckets of rock and like 10 shrubs and we're doing everything from scratch. It feels like a slow process since our last frost date still isn't until May.. but I'm excited to start seeing some results!

mymygoodness
by on May. 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

This is my third year gardening. The first two did not work out so well because of flooding. I do have a question though. I planted squash on a mound at first, and my friend told me it would do better in the gully of the mound so I dug them up and planted them in the gully. Does anybody know if this is true? I am still learning. It looks to me like they will get washed away in the gully if it rains alot. I'm just not sure what to do now.

mommyofKellanT.
by on May. 8, 2010 at 7:40 PM

This is my second year with a garden. We had a HUGE garden last year and just kinda played it by ear. Everything grew great. but we had a bunch of a few different veggies. this year we made a list of what we wanted and actually made straight rows for them. We are planting the same amount but tons more variety. a little of everything. we got new rhubarb and artichokes this year so really excited to see them grow even though we can't eat the rhubarb this year.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Quoting mymygoodness:

This is my third year gardening. The first two did not work out so well because of flooding. I do have a question though. I planted squash on a mound at first, and my friend told me it would do better in the gully of the mound so I dug them up and planted them in the gully. Does anybody know if this is true? I am still learning. It looks to me like they will get washed away in the gully if it rains alot. I'm just not sure what to do now.

Well, I plant my squash in hills then build a wall of dirt around them. That might be almost the same thing.

If you have well drained soil it should be okay, but if your soil tends to be on the heavy side, the squash plants may rot.  You can move them, if you want to try to transplant them.  Be sure to take whole scoop, dirt and plant, to help reduce the chance of transplant shock.

jersey32girl
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I've been gardening for years.  I think it's in my blood.  Every year I try one new item.  this year is brussel sprouts but I'm not having a whole lot of luck.  Anyways, I'm really needing some recipes for canning banana peppers and jalepenos.  If anyone has some, PM me.  Thanks.

evansmommy03
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I have four tomato plants growing in containers right now and they are doing great!  I do not use pestisides on any of our plants.  The advice I can give you on the Tomatoes is this 1) make sure your container is large enough for the roots to spread out (we use the large buckets from our local farm store) 2) Make sure you have a drainage hole because they do not like to sit in water 3) Make sure you use a really good potting mix for veggies it makes a world of difference 4) Water daily if there has been no rain.  Tomatoes love water!  Just make sure you always water deeply so the roots will grow down and deep this is where the drainage hole also comes in handy.  I hope your tomatoes do great and I hope this helps :)

Quoting browneyedmommy:

I am just now starting out, I prefer to do container gardening because our soil is not really good.  I bought my first tomato plant, which was a big one, already blooming!  Can anybody give me any tips to growing tomatoes in a container so it will produce healthy tomatoes.  We live in SE Tx, so it is hot here!

I really don't want to use any pesticides on it, only organic stuff.  Thanks

Joeygoat
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

This is my first raised garden.  I am on a mission to be debt free and I can get buy on rice and beans, but I DO need fresh veggies to complete my diet.  I will be making a raised garden 24 feet by 6 feet by 1 foot.  I am planning on tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, herbs, parsnips, squash, zucchini.  These seem to be the hard to kill variety of plants.  If there is anything else that a beginner could grow, let me know.  I am buying my compost, soil and fertilizer to make a lush black gold type soil.  I have selected a place that gets morning, noon and afternoon sunshine.  I will be adding a drip system for watering as well as putting one gallon jugs with holes in them into the base, so I can fill and let them drip deep into the soil. 

Any ideas, I need them.  Thanks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)