Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Dec. 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Green peas, green beans, and sweet corn are very easy to  grow.  My first gardens always had those, plus winter squash, pumpkins, carrots, and beets.

Quoting Joeygoat:

This is my first raised garden.  I am on a mission to be debt free and I can get buy on rice and beans, but I DO need fresh veggies to complete my diet.  I will be making a raised garden 24 feet by 6 feet by 1 foot.  I am planning on tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, herbs, parsnips, squash, zucchini.  These seem to be the hard to kill variety of plants.  If there is anything else that a beginner could grow, let me know.  I am buying my compost, soil and fertilizer to make a lush black gold type soil.  I have selected a place that gets morning, noon and afternoon sunshine.  I will be adding a drip system for watering as well as putting one gallon jugs with holes in them into the base, so I can fill and let them drip deep into the soil. 

Any ideas, I need them.  Thanks. 

Joeygoat
by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Thank you for the information.  I have a man who cuts my lawn, I ask him to mulch in the clippings back into my lawn, and I NEVER water my lawn.  I want the roots to dig deep for water.  Without chemicals, I have the greenest lawn in the 'hood.  At the end of the day my yard man brings me all of the clippings he has bagged that day and I pile them in the back corner of my yard.  I have a huge yard and I many piles of compost.  The next few times he drops off the clippings, I am going to put a cover of chicken wire over it, hold it down with bent coat hangers, then this spring, I am going to cut out three large areas, add soil and plant my pumpkins.  I have an odd spot along the fence that I cannot put bushes, etc, so this will be the pumpkin patch for 2011.  I found this tip in "Easy Garden Projects" by Yankee Magazine. 

elijahsmama09
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

This is not my first year gardening. But I always container gardened before when Ilived in the city and it was a lot easier, lol. I loved how contained everything was, and easy to weed!

This will be my second year of gardening in a large garden, and am hoping it goes better. My biggest problem last year was health and weeds. I could not keep up!

braysmommy247
by on Jan. 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM

This will be my second year at gardening. Last year I only grew some tomatoes and strawberries in containers.

This year me and DH have a bit more room to garden. We are wanting to grow:

tomatoes, squash, corn, okra, green beans, lettuce, potatoes, carrots, strawberries, cucumbers, peppers, and maybe some raspberries.

Is any of these better to do in containers? Also is there any other fruit that is easy to grow? I need all the tips that I can get. LOL 

We are growing our own veggies/fruit in order to save some money. We are expecting in a couple of months and already have a DD and I am a sahm and we just need to save money. And there is nothing tastier than fresh veggies. :-)

FuzzybugsMommy
by on Mar. 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I'm new to gardening.

My four year old loves tomatoes. More than anything in the world, I think, lol. He'll pick them when they're green, right off the vine and eat them. Red, green, orange, somewhere in between, he doesn't care, he loves tomatoes. So, I bought a little seed starter kit with cucumber and tomato seeds in it and we planted them.

My three year old daughter loves girly stuff, so we're doing flowers for her, and that's different I guess.

Besides the cucumbers and tomatoes, I got seed packets to plant corn, garden beans, pumpkins, cantaloupe, and watermelon.

My youngest kid is 13 months old so he's too young to care, but the other two have loved watching the seeds sprout.

katiemae98
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM

This is going to be my first. One reason is to save money but I think it will be fun to actually grow something. I've never had a place to grow anything so now we have our own house and we can do whatever we want. I just have no idea where to start or what to do

creationary
by on Mar. 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I am starting my first garden this year.  I know pretty much nothing and will be doing a ton of research over the next month to try to figure out what I will be able to grow.

I am most confused about how many types of vegetables I should limit myself to, how many to plant to avoid having too little or too much (especially stuff that I'm not interested in canning, etc.), and basically just how to make it all work with soil pH and everything when all the research I am doing on various plants says they need certain conditions to survive. 

As soon as I figure out if this group is very active, I will probably be posting more specific questions.

new_mom808
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM

This will be my first year. I'm trying onions, bell peppers, butternut squash, cucumbers, and some hot peppers in containers. I'm hoping to also do some strawberrries, garlic and cilantro in containers, and one of those topsy turvy thingies for tomatoes.

I think I'm in over my head. Wish me luck.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Quoting creationary:

I am starting my first garden this year.  I know pretty much nothing and will be doing a ton of research over the next month to try to figure out what I will be able to grow.

I am most confused about how many types of vegetables I should limit myself to, how many to plant to avoid having too little or too much (especially stuff that I'm not interested in canning, etc.), and basically just how to make it all work with soil pH and everything when all the research I am doing on various plants says they need certain conditions to survive. 

As soon as I figure out if this group is very active, I will probably be posting more specific questions.

Most garden veggies need a pH level between 6.0 to 6.5.  Blueberries prefer acidic soil, closer to 5.0.  I test mine every spring.  Typically, if you have plenty of organic material in your soil, the pH will be fine.

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to plant?  What you'd like to can?  How big is your family?  I do have charts that I can try to integrate into an answer for you.

Yes, please ask questions!  

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Quoting new_mom808:

This will be my first year. I'm trying onions, bell peppers, butternut squash, cucumbers, and some hot peppers in containers. I'm hoping to also do some strawberrries, garlic and cilantro in containers, and one of those topsy turvy thingies for tomatoes.

I think I'm in over my head. Wish me luck.

LOL  just remember to keep things watered but not soaked.  Peppers aren't the easiest to grow (they're a bit fussy) but patience is key in gardening.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN