Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
jenn1972
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I've been gardening my whole life. Some years we had a large, in the ground garden,and other years we have been living somewhere we could only have container gardens! I garden because I love it! I love the ability to grow fresh food for my family. I love when I can say to my children "go out to the garden and pick a bowl of tomatoes or green beans for supper."   This year we are gardening out of necessity to provide food that is to be canned and preserved. I think if everyone did this, the world would be much better off!

Anellie
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Silly question here!!!

Can I make my own compost out of orange, banana or any fruit of veggie peels?  Like the skin? Or from the strawberry stems?? Or maybe egg shells???

I don't know, and I didn't want to throw it out so I put it in the freezer!!! surprised LOLOL So how do I make a compost? Just put it all together and in the soil????

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Mar. 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Quoting Anellie:

Silly question here!!!

Can I make my own compost out of orange, banana or any fruit of veggie peels?  Like the skin? Or from the strawberry stems?? Or maybe egg shells???

I don't know, and I didn't want to throw it out so I put it in the freezer!!! surprised LOLOL So how do I make a compost? Just put it all together and in the soil????

Many people start a compost pile with those very things and then add the rich, decomposed compost to the soil.  You can also add shredded newsprint, sawdust, wood ashes, animal manure, etc.

I put mine directly on the garden area from fall through spring and work the things in before I plant.

Anellie
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Wow! Thanks for the quick response! I will take it them out of the freezer to start my very own compost! :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Anellie:

Silly question here!!!

Many people start a compost pile with those very things and then add the rich, decomposed compost to the soil.  You can also add shredded newsprint, sawdust, wood ashes, animal manure, etc.

I put mine directly on the garden area from fall through spring and work the things in before I plant.

SarahBethK
by on May. 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

This is my first year starting a garden. I just bought a house on land so I figured I should do something with that land!

godsgirl26
by Member on May. 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM

this is my 1st garden... i wanted to planet because i learned that if u eat what u planet that it will help with your allergies and i have allergies really bad... and another reason is to save $.

rglrtmmy
by on May. 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM

this will be my fourth year.

Raised bed, square foot gardening. An my first year at my very own home. !!!! So I am starting all over again. I just bought two plastic/ resin composite whatever you want to call it 4x4 boxes. I have to remove grass from behind the garage and level it and then I can put the boxes together and get started planting.

JasNmicahsMommy
by on May. 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I have always wanted to start a veggie garden and a flower bed but never knew where to start and how to start it out, do i make sense? lol. Well we just moved into a new home 3 months ago and the snow finally melted a month ago and I am now wondering how to begin. I want to plant tomatoes,cucumbers,bell peppers ,jalapen. variety of hot peppers,corn,potatoes,carrots,lettuce,white and red onions. 

AjCeCeMom
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 5:39 PM
This is our 1st year as a family. My Grandpa is a master gardener who has won many competitions for giant vegetables. I have definetly grew up in a gardening family. We are moving house on May 27 and will have some raised beds there. We are also happy to have a plot at the community garden. This is the first year of the project so are ecstatic to be in from the ground up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joeygoat
by on May. 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Well, I have my raised bed frame built, I rented a pick up truck so I could get the soil and compost for free.  It ended up cheaper to rent a truck for two days than to buy 4 tons of soil.  I have spent in total, frame, labor, truck, seeds, etc., $480.  I will not be able to break even this year, but next year I will only need to buy seeds and plant food.  I should be able to keep that to under $100.  I had hoped to get the garden in and started in April, we had warm sunny days, but far too many tornadoes.  I did not get my garden planted until May 8th.  I have been keeping a diary, written and also lots of snapshots of the progress.  I did over plant on tomatoes, beans and squash, but if the birds eat half, and I kill the other half, I will have enough for me. 

QUESTION:  How often do you have to water the garden? 

ABOVE: DAY ONE ROMA ITALIAN BEANS

BELOW: DAY SEVEN ROMA ITALIAN BEANS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN