Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
confuzzledgrl05
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM

This will be our 2nd garden but our first one didn't work out so well... I think we got some lettuce and tomatoes from it. We have moved to a completely different state (hawaii to texas and now colorado) so now I have to work with all the temperature changes. Since we are still not in a house, I may put off a garden until next year, just do a few in pots like tomatoes. We plan to get a greenhouse so hopefully that will help with the snow and cold.  We are also planning on buying a few fruit trees as well!

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

It's my 4th time actually gardening...But many years inbetween..And I'm having soooo much fun..

mamabearlehman
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM
This is my first year and I started mostly from seeds. I haven't put the seedlings in the ground yet but hubby will help me with that tomorrow. I have 2 varieties of watermelon, onions, potatoes, carrots, cukes, lettuce, strawberries, celery, tomatoes, and a bunch of wild flowers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoCalovin
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Hi ! My name is Chrissy and this is my first year that I have attempted to grow a garden :)

I decided to try to grow a garden for a few reasons but mainly because we are trying to eat healthier and more organically grown foods. I also thought it would be a wonderful family "project" :)

TexasWife
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

First time. I took on a lot. So far everything is doing great. I am a little worried because I have some nasty little critters that pop up every year. They are called Tussock Moth Caterpillars. They will eventually become moths. They have left everything alone except my Lime tree and my front porch. I literally hate these things. What can I do to keep them off my lime tree?

TexasWife
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Here is a picture of them.They will create a yellow "nest". Which are a pain in the arse to get off the sides of houses so I can only imagine if they decide to "nest" on my tree.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

https://www.contech-inc.com/products/treetanglefoot/

It's all natural and prevents them from climbing the trees.  If you don't mind using chemical agents, BT will kill the caterpillars without harming any mammals.

Quoting TexasWife:

First time. I took on a lot. So far everything is doing great. I am a little worried because I have some nasty little critters that pop up every year. They are called Tussock Moth Caterpillars. They will eventually become moths. They have left everything alone except my Lime tree and my front porch. I literally hate these things. What can I do to keep them off my lime tree?

oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

interesting lookin caterpillar i found this on a website

http://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/Pest_ID/structural/tussockmoth.shtml

My recommendations for homeowners disturbed by tussock moth caterpillars:

• Any of the common foliar insecticides will effectively kill those caterpillars still feeding. Timing is critical, however. Caterpillar management needs to be done before the larvae are fully grown and have ceased feeding. Waiting until the larvae are dispersing to pupate is too late.
  • People who want to minimize cocoons on their house should walk around it with a broom and sweep the climbing caterpillars into a pail of soapy water.
  • Cocoons can be removed by slipping tweezers or a similar instrument between the cocoon and the wall. I recommend wearing a long-sleeved shirt while doing this, as the caterpillar hairs may irritate the skin on the forearm.

and a good project for homeschoolers!

An interesting project for some would be to collect fresh cocoons in ventilated glass jars. Within 10 days there should be adult moths and several natural enemies. Parasitism often runs near 50%.

Quoting TexasWife:

Here is a picture of them.They will create a yellow "nest". Which are a pain in the arse to get off the sides of houses so I can only imagine if they decide to "nest" on my tree.

mross63
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

This is my first garden at this home since moving a year ago. I've always gardened it seems like one way or another either in pots or in the ground. Gardening in the desert is so much different than back east in Mi. Pots have been the way to go as I can move them to shade. At this home we can plant in the back yard so I have a small plot & 4 raised beds going plus my flower pots. I did try a celery root and have 3 different kinds of potatoes in the raised beds. I purchased an artichoke seedling that I'm not sure if I even like them but I'll find out if it grows & I don't fry it with the extreme heat/sun that's coming. Bets are on for our 1st 100 degree day! As to why I garden I think its the best therapy god created!

Armywife91003
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Have helped my sister with her garden for years. But this year will be my third year with my own. My first one we live on an army base I had hoagies, summer squash and zucchini. I didn't have much space so that was about all I could do. Last year we had just moved home and were living with my mom. Being in Maine the spring came a little late(as usual here. Lol) but I planted carrots, peas, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, butternut squash( didn't grow), beets ( also didn't grow), an onion (didn't really know what I was doing just kind of planted it to see how it went, it died. Lol). I also tryed to plant watermelon cantelope, and honeydew melon without success. This yearin my own home I started green beans, peas, Brussels sprouts(never done this before.),small tomatoes, watermelons, pumpkins, cucumbers, summer squash, zucchini. I am also going to plant cabbage, beet, carrots, iceberg lettuce, and Swiss chard. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Lol. I love gardening. First of all a veggie/fruit garden saves money.Second, I love start seeds and watching them grow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)