Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this your first or second (even third) year of gardening?  Are you growing something you've never grown before?  Feel a bit too shy to ask what you think might be silly questions? 

Tell us why you decided to garden!  Go ahead and ask those silly questions!  We're glad to have you in our group and we're happy to answer any questions!

by on Apr. 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Replies (51-60):
elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

My Mom has the greenest thumb I know...but mine is more brownish khaki, lol. I can grow indoors wonderfully, and potted or container gardening I have done very well...but big gardens just do not do very well for me. So I am buying from our local Amish for 90% and growing my own for the other few things we like. I want to grow aspargaus , but know it takes 2 yrs to establish. My raspberry plants had worms in them last year and they were FULL of worms. It was awful...wonder how to get rid of them?

duets
by asst. gardener on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Quoting elijahsmama09:

My Mom has the greenest thumb I know...but mine is more brownish khaki, lol. I can grow indoors wonderfully, and potted or container gardening I have done very well...but big gardens just do not do very well for me. So I am buying from our local Amish for 90% and growing my own for the other few things we like. I want to grow aspargaus , but know it takes 2 yrs to establish. My raspberry plants had worms in them last year and they were FULL of worms. It was awful...wonder how to get rid of them?

Hope this helps......

How to Control Bugs & Worms in Raspberries

Read more: How to Control Bugs & Worms in Raspberries | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8220326_control-bugs-worms-raspberries.html#ixzz1rCviZjOC

oredeb
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM

thats awlful worms in your raspberries! heres a bunch of post about that from garden web  http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0909435815887.html

Quoting elijahsmama09:

JacksMom1221
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Hi, ladies! This is my first real attempt at gardening! I'm really excited for my plants to grow but I'm pretty new so I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant on some things.

So, I germinated my seeds in a greenhouse thing, just a small plastic tray about 2 ft by 1 ft, with a plastic cover. A lot of them came up but a squirrel got into it and ruined some. I just planted them today though! I have a row of peas, about 6 plants, a patch of lettuce plants, some canteloupe, one squash plant, and some watermelon plants. I'm still hoping some of the pepper seeds will come up. I guess we'll see how it goes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoCalBombshell
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

This is my first year gardening as an adult. I helped my parents with their garden for years though. I never got really into it, until recently. Now, you might say I've become obsessed. :) We started our planting on April 1st - whe we planted 18 cherry tomato plants to hang. We then planted more seeds yesterday (the kids got new seeds and pots for Easter) and added 5 Zinnia flowers, 9 cucumbers, 9 sweet peppers, 4 yellow onions, 4 snow peas and 2 anise. As funds become available, I hope to start some more veggies and herbs.

As for deciding to do so, well, that's just a matter of growing up I suppose. I've come to realize that dependence on grocery stores is robbing me blind. I also have somewhat of a prepper's mind - If grocery stores are suddenly unavailable, I want the ability to feed my children! And if I can grow my food, I have no reason to wonder or worry about chemicals being used. I also think it's important to teach kids about gardening - not only so future generations can continue to provide food, but I know my children are much more likely to love eating the food THEY helped grow and harvest. :)

BeckyP.
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
This is my second year. Last year's crop was a little disappointing but I think we were expecting too much for our first year. I also think it had to do with crowding; too many plants in the space. This year we're expanding the space a little and re-thinking what to plant. Why do it? Because I want my son (2) to see where his beloved fruits and veggies come from and instill a love of nature in him. Also, there is just something really gratifying about planting and nurturing a plant and actually helping it produce food for my family. Then creating a fabulous, nutritious meal for them with the bounty. It's very satisfying to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smileber
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Next year will actually be my first year of gardening. My husband and I just got out of an apartment and renting a house with a huge yard that wasn't cared for for at least 2 years before us moving in. We will be taking the Winter to clear out and prep out yard for next Spring. We plan to garden to save us a lot of costs instead of buying from stores, and even using the gas to make the run. It could even help us make a profit. I am not too familiar with gardening, especially since I am in a completely different state and zone. I moved from a 6a in Illinois to a 9a in Florida! Since our ground isn't too complying, I plan to do most of my gardening in pots. I will also be gardening organically.

My name is Amber. I am a housewife of a US Airman. I am a mommy to our angel babies, our two furbabiesand am now TTC our first little bundle.<3 I have lived the life I loved, and love the life I live.

d3tToL
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM

This is my first year gardening. Loving it so far as the plants are surviving (yay!) and pretty lucky lately with the weather here in New Zealand...Any suggestions for organic ways to repel bugs from plants like silverbeet and spinach???

duets
by asst. gardener on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Hi & Welcome to our Gardening Group! 

I do  not have personal experience in growing spinach.....Do you hapen to know what  type of bugs are menacing your plants?  This group offers a ton of   info to help the  gardener, under "Other Forums", blue tab  above.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/41419/forums/read/16185589/Dont_BUG_Me_bug_talk 

When  all else fails, ...

let me that for you

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=organic+ways+to+repel+bugs+from+plants+like+silverbeet+and+spinach

Quoting d3tToL:

This is my first year gardening. Loving it so far as the plants are surviving (yay!) and pretty lucky lately with the weather here in New Zealand...Any suggestions for organic ways to repel bugs from plants like silverbeet and spinach???

crazy2day
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I cant wait for spring to come! It will be my third year Gardening... Not sure what I will plant but I always try something new!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)