Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh! Snails!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 338 Total Views

I need some good home remedies besides beer to keep snails out of my garden! They have destroyed it :(

Has anybody used ash? I hear they don't like ash...I was considering sprinkling ash from our BBQ around the plants.

HELP! :( 

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Instead of beer, add 1/2 tsp. yeast and 1 Tbsp. sugar to water in a shallow jar or pie plate that is sunk into the ground so the top is level with the soil.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Table Salt is a Slug's Enemy
Just like garden slugs are enemies to our garden plants, table salt spells "a-d-i-o-s" to these pests. Simply sprinkle a little table salt on the bodies of the garden slugs and they will "melt" right before your eyes. Just be careful not to get any salt on your plants, or they'll dry up too
!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Household Ammonia to the Rescue
Fill a spray bottle half way up with tap water. Then, fill the rest of the bottle with household ammonia. Replace the sprayer and shake the bottle gently to mix. Spray this homemade solution directly on garden slugs to eradicate them. Don't worry, the ammonia won't hurt your vegetable or flower plants. In fact, it helps fertilize them!

Affirmation
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to try the first one you listed because the snails come out at night when we're sleeping so it would be best to already have a deterrent in place rather than have to go out at night.

CanadianChelsea
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Wood ashes are great for deterring slugs and snails.  

We have a fire pit out back and every spring I sprinkle the wood ashes over my gardens.  The slimy creatures really do not like the ashes.  I have found no holes in the Hosta leaves since I have been doing this.

Use around 1/8 of an inch coverage of wood ashes over the soil.  Do not mix into the soil.

norahsmommy
by on May. 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM

wood ash or ground egg shells.  They wont slime there way over egg shells because its sharp and will tear them up. 

frogbender
by on May. 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Kaolin clay will kill snail. Look for it as Surround WP. It is 100% organic. Also, diatomaceous earth will also work for averting the little buggers. Other traps you can use are laying a board or lettuce/cabbage leaf on the ground at night near affected areas. In the morning, turn the traps over and let the slug squishing commence. Egg shells don't work, that is a common misconception. Slugs and snails create a slime barrier that allows them to glide over the shells. Wood ashes will work, but will change your soil pH with frequent use. With pots, you can use a copper barrier. Just use flat pieces of copper to ring around the bottom of pots, like a collar.

uggs-lover
by on May. 14, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Thank you for this post. Last year, I had NO snails, this year, I have TONS of them....grrrrrr!!!! I had heard of the beer thing, but I want to drink the beer, not give it to the darn snails! Giggle!!!! I will try the copper, as I have raised boxes in a lot of my garden...diatomaceous earth will also be good, because I am already using it for the ants. I was bummed to hear about the eggshells not working.......let's keep eachother posted on what our findings are on this problem. Maybe we can experiment and help eachother out! Any other ideas????

Affirmation
by on May. 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM
I agree! The ashes worked pretty well for awhile but you have to really keep on it.
frogbender
by on May. 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM

LOL! I have that problem as well. I tried using really cheap beer once, but the slugs and snails avoided it. Apparently I have connoisseur pests in my garden!

Quoting uggs-lover:

Thank you for this post. Last year, I had NO snails, this year, I have TONS of them....grrrrrr!!!! I had heard of the beer thing, but I want to drink the beer, not give it to the darn snails! Giggle!!!! I will try the copper, as I have raised boxes in a lot of my garden...diatomaceous earth will also be good, because I am already using it for the ants. I was bummed to hear about the eggshells not working.......let's keep eachother posted on what our findings are on this problem. Maybe we can experiment and help eachother out! Any other ideas????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)