Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying Organic Compost

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 256 Total Views

So I was all jazzed about making my own organic fertilizer from a recipe on Mother Earth News.  However, I had a heck of a time finding all of the ingredients locally.  So I give up.  We are starting a new garden this year, so we have tilled up sod.  We don't plan to have it tested, but I'm sure we should be adding some type of fertilizer.  If I buy organic compost, will that help it?  I know that I could add lime, gypsum, bone meal and kelp to help it out, but I think I want to keep it simple and just purchase some compost.  It's a rather LARGE garden.  Has anyone purchased compost?  I just want it to be organic and chemical free...

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I don't know where you're located but in our area we have a product called Dairy Doo (the manufacturer lives about 35 miles from us) and it's organic and is GREAT STUFF.  Here's a link:  http://www.dairydoo.com/Morgan_Composting/Home.html

Vieve3
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I ran across this product in my searches and would really like to get it, but on their website they don't have retailers who carry it in my area....darn. I will have to look for something similar.  The best thing about it is that it is that it is organic and all ready to use.  I know I can't use fresh cow manure to fertilize...

norahsmommy
by on Apr. 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Start hitting up your local farms for manure and start your own compost pile in an unused corner of your yard or garden. It has to age before you can put it on your garden though.  Also if you buy organic produce dump the scraps on your compost pile.  Very easy.  You can order online virtually anything if you cannot find it locally. I never get anything locally becuase we live out in the boonies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)