Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tons of Pics! Garden and seedlings

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 759 Total Views

Hello, I have been lurking in the background :)

I grew up with a veggie garden and since we just bought our first house and got out of our apartment we are now able to put in a garden!  I am so excited.

Here is the progress...

This was the garden area before.  We took down the play set (it was from the previous owners and very old and rickety anyways)

We are in Eastern Pa and apparently when we went to till the area it was all clay underneath so we decided to put in raised garden beds.  This pic is when we discovered the clay :(

My husband putting in the garden beds that he constructed

And then we put in most of the top soil (6 cubic yards) that we had delivered from a local company near us!  It was a labor of love.  We spent all day shoveling the dirt from the front yard and hauling it to the back yard.  We have one box left to fill and then tomorrow we will be tilling in manure and soil as well.

Now for the seedlings!  My first time growing from seeds

How do the seedlings look?  Well I guess they are not seedlings anymore, but how do they look?

by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Very cool!

Check out this site for bed planning:

http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html

La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

Very cool!

Check out this site for bed planning:

http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html

WOW, I needed this!  Thank you so much!

Mommy2seven
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

How wonderful hun.. you've got a great start!  Can't wait to see where you put everything and how its doing.  Your seedlings look wonderful :)

adry20
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM

How long ago did u plant your seeds? I just planted mine yesterday and i can't wait for them to grow! lol I bought a raised bed kit at home depot and it's small but i'm barely starting i wanna put a salsa garden there.

adry20
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM

BTW I love your grass! it's so green! i'm jealous lol.

Tru2Him4E
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Good job! I wish I had mione ready now. I bought some flowers seeds from the dollar store, started them in a window and they haven't done a thing! Hope my hubby haas better luck in the yard.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Quoting adry20:

How long ago did u plant your seeds? I just planted mine yesterday and i can't wait for them to grow! lol I bought a raised bed kit at home depot and it's small but i'm barely starting i wanna put a salsa garden there.

I planted them about 4-5 weeks ago... I got so excited and honestly I planted to early but I have transfered them to jiffy pots and I just started hardening them off.  We are going to plant the second weekend in May. 

We just saw the kits at our Home Depot!

Good luck ad post pics of your seedlings!

Cavemama
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM

What an undertaking!!  You have done great.  I'm in South Central. PA and I know what you mean about the clay.  It is really a tough environment for tender seedlings--enriching the soil is a must!  good luck...I look forward to seeing for pics of your progress.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Quoting Cavemama:

What an undertaking!!  You have done great.  I'm in South Central. PA and I know what you mean about the clay.  It is really a tough environment for tender seedlings--enriching the soil is a must!  good luck...I look forward to seeing for pics of your progress.

Thank You!  So it is common for the clay around here?  I did not expect that at all.  What would you recommend for enriching the soil?  We are adding 3 inches of manure and (I forget the name of it) some enriched soil as well.  Does that sound okay?

BornToRun84
by on Apr. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Wow!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)