Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got gardening OCD! LOL

Posted by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

Hello friends.  Just joined the group... thought I needed to find some friends that share my enthusiam for vegetable gardening... cuz I think my husbands had it up to ears with how wonderful my lettuce is doing!  LOL  So, I'd really like to meet some of you fellow momma/gardeners out there!  Being new to the group I have nooo idea where everyone is from, so maybe we can start there.  I'm from Missouri.  I have five children.  Remarried.  Live in a smaller town that has expanded soooo much I imagine it won't be long until surrounding towns people say they are going to the city and are referencing our town!  It's crazy busy.  But fortunatly we have a nice big back yard, which I decided to start my very first vegetable garden this year... and now I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Addicted... totally!  And not only do I have a garden but all along the fence lines my kids have their own gardens!  So funny.  I'll post pics one day.  Anyway, I'd really love to hear from ya, so drop me a line.

Smiles,

Mel 

by on May. 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Hi Mel!  Welcome to the group! 

I'm Rhonda, the group owner.  I, too, have 5 children!  I'm from Michigan and I am so very jealous of those in this group that have already planted!!!  We don't dare plant too much before Memorial Day due to late frosts, but I do have some peppers and watermelon in the house that I started from seed, they're awaiting the wonderful day when they can be transplanted.

Did you plant more than lettuce?

gardeningmomma
by on May. 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Hi there Rhonda.  So nice to meet you!  You have five children too!  LOL  They keep ya on your toes huh?  My husband didn't know what the heck he was getting himself into when he said I could put in a garden! :0) Now almost our whole back yard is a garden!  Our chance of frost is gone here.  Weather has been above 50 at night and around 65-85 during the day, so I just finished putting in the last of everything today.  All I have left are my transplants I started inside: cucumber, green beans, squash, zucchini (sp??? to lazy to look at the package :0) , watermelon, pumpkin and cucumber seedlings.  They have been hardening for a week and are going in tomorrow.  I already have carrots, lettuce, corn, strawberries, brocolli, cauliflower,  and peppers planted outside.  I bought the lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and strawberries as transplants at the nursery... so they are well on their way.  I'm a little concerned about my corn.  It has been over a week and nothing yet, so I went today and got more peat pots and starting soil to germinate corn inside just in case they don't end up sprouting outside.  I did almost loose all my strawberry plants.  I spend well over $50 and almost lost them.  I bought one of those topsy turvey things that were suppose to be for strawberries and in the last couple weeks more and more stems starting dying off.  The topsy turvy is a cylinder tent thing with about 12 holes on the sides for the plant to grow out of, but covering the holes are these plastic flaps that are suppose to keep in the soil, but let the plant grow through it... well it wasn't working!  The flaps were cutting the circulation of the stems off.  But I think I saved them.  I built them a nice big deep bed and transplanted them a couple days ago.  Cut off the dead leaves and the all the strawberry buds so all the energy would go back to the plant and roots.  So no strawberries anytime soon, but I think at least I saved them. 

Well, I've talked your ear off.  Sorry dear.  I'm excited for you to put your garden in!  You must be chomping at the bit!  LOL  Keep me updated!

Mel

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM

As long as the strawberry crowns and roots weren't damaged, they should come back.

Corn likes warmth.  Keep them in a sunny window until they sprout to help keep them warm.

Wow, you're going to have quite the variety of fruits/veggies!!!  Good for you!  Do your kids help at all?

tomatoqueen
by on May. 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Hi,

My name is also Rhonda. I live in Texas. It was 93 here today. I have 2 kids, 21 and 16. They are both involved in gardenting with me. The younger helped till this year. His specialty is carrots. The older loves peppers and has planted a ton of super hot peppers. As my screen name indicates, I LOVE tomatoes. I have spent the last 2 days staking up my plants. I have 35 which is not many for me. I have 20 varieties. I have tomatoes on several of the plants and will be able to have fried green tomatoes soon. I also planted 7 varieties of potatoes, 6 of beets, 3 of beans, 9 of squash. We are also raising cucumbers for some dills. I normally grow corn, but just ran out of room. My cabbage and onions are off to a great start. I also grow herbs: cilantro, dill, sage, rosemary, oregano, parsley, and chives.

Unlike most people, my garden is NOT in the backyard. I would love to have it in the back, but my neighbors on the side and back have HUGE trees that throw my yard into shade. I was faced with either not gardening or moving my hobby to the front yard. I checked to make sure I am not violating any codes, and planted in the front. Most of my neighbors say really nice thing....6 compliments in the last 2 days. The exception is the neighbor to the left of me. They hate every aspect of the garden. They refuse to trim back any of their trees. I actually had to call the police because the man threatened to mow down my garden.

In any event, I LOVE to garden. It is relaxing and I always find a new variety to try. If we don't have a hail storm or an invasion of spider mites, this looks like it will be a bumper crop of tomatoes.....

BTW, you sound like you are doing a great job with your first garden.

t_creanskisa
by Member on May. 6, 2010 at 12:51 AM

i'm having trouble with my neighbors too. they(both the kids and the adults) are using my deer/bird netting for a  soccer goal ..

Quoting tomatoqueen:

Hi,

My name is also Rhonda. I live in Texas. It was 93 here today. I have 2 kids, 21 and 16. They are both involved in gardenting with me. The younger helped till this year. His specialty is carrots. The older loves peppers and has planted a ton of super hot peppers. As my screen name indicates, I LOVE tomatoes. I have spent the last 2 days staking up my plants. I have 35 which is not many for me. I have 20 varieties. I have tomatoes on several of the plants and will be able to have fried green tomatoes soon. I also planted 7 varieties of potatoes, 6 of beets, 3 of beans, 9 of squash. We are also raising cucumbers for some dills. I normally grow corn, but just ran out of room. My cabbage and onions are off to a great start. I also grow herbs: cilantro, dill, sage, rosemary, oregano, parsley, and chives.

Unlike most people, my garden is NOT in the backyard. I would love to have it in the back, but my neighbors on the side and back have HUGE trees that throw my yard into shade. I was faced with either not gardening or moving my hobby to the front yard. I checked to make sure I am not violating any codes, and planted in the front. Most of my neighbors say really nice thing....6 compliments in the last 2 days. The exception is the neighbor to the left of me. They hate every aspect of the garden. They refuse to trim back any of their trees. I actually had to call the police because the man threatened to mow down my garden.

In any event, I LOVE to garden. It is relaxing and I always find a new variety to try. If we don't have a hail storm or an invasion of spider mites, this looks like it will be a bumper crop of tomatoes.....

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 6, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Wow, why does your neighbor not like your garden? 

Quoting tomatoqueen:

Hi,

mikesmom65270
by master gardener on May. 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Where is Missouri do you live? I'm in Missouri too--Moberly. I will be putting in tomato and pepper plantsin a couple of days, planting beans and other warmer season crops. Potatoes and cole crops are coming in nicely. I've been getting ready for a garden tour, so have had to let the vegies wait for now. The tour is today and Saturday, so next week will be back to the normal schedule. I really love growing vegetables.

gardeningmomma
by on May. 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Hi Mikesmom!  I'm in Wentzville. Looks like we are about 2 hrs. apart.  I bought pepper plants from the nursery and probably planted them way to early, but they seem to be fine.  When night got below 50 I covered them with 2 liter bottles.  I probably planted my corn to early; they should have been up by now.  I dug a seed up to see how it was doing and there was a root coming out... so maybe I'll see them sprout soon???  Very nice to meet you!

Mel

gardeningmomma
by on May. 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hi Rhonda from Texas!  Good to meet you.  Well that just sucks about your neighbors.  We are pretty fortunate here.  I live amongst retired school teachers, of which two were my teachers in middle and high school.  We have two teachers across the street and my next door neighbor was a school teacher.  They are the sweetest about all the gardening we got going on over here.  I think they thoroughly appreciate seeing a younger married couple taking interest in something that has declined over the years amongst families.  My neighbor next door even offered her yard if mine doesn't work out as I hoped.  When I staked the ground for my garden last year, it was fall and the trees were bare... I didn't realize until Spring just how shaded my garden is.  I'm not sure how it will do.  As the sun crosses over different areas get sun throughout the day, but probably only a maximum of five hours total???  Except my strawberries and corn; they get sun all day pretty much.  I'm going to try and take pics today and post them.  I'd love to see pics of every one's gardens!  Lets do that girls... take some pics and post them this week! 

Smiles, Mel

gardeningmomma
by on May. 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Hi Michigan Rhonda :0)

Funny thing about the kids helping.... I found that when I started my garden this spring that I was going to be way to controlling and protective over it!  LOL  My little three year old stepped on my broccoli plant and I'd like to cry! JK  but anyway... I wanted the kids to enjoy it along with me, so they all have their own gardens along all the fence lines... it's quiet a sight!  LOL

Mel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN