Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cucumber leaves turning white along the edges???

Posted by on May. 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 5428 Total Views

My seedlings are ready to go into the garden.  I've been hardening them for over a week now, but the cucumber leaves, not just the true leaves, are beginning to turn white along the edges on all of them.  I've read it could be to cold for them, or nitrogen deficiency, to much water or some kind of mildew.  What the heck is it??? 

Thanks,

Mel

by on May. 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on May. 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Most of what I can find says it's because they got cold, that caused cell damage in the leaves.  Is this on every leaf?  Do you have any new growth that is completely green? (not stems, leaves)

gardeningmomma
by on May. 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hello again dear.  Almost every leaf has it now.  I do see this morning that one of the plants has a new growth leaf and it looks nice and green.  Do you think they will recover?  I'm not overly concerned.  It's just four plants that I started indoors.  I planted seeds for more cucumbers to grow.  I just wanted to have cucumbers before my ex-husband!  LOL  We get along really well.  We dated since I was only 15 and him 17.  We had two children together.  He keeps laughing at me because of all the work I've been doing.  He just tills the ground, throws some manure in and plants the seeds.  I started seeds indoors, tested my soil, bought that Technaflora Recipe for Success fertilizing kit (have you heard of that?)  I think it was designed for hydroponics, but it says it works great for soil grown veggies to.  It is a more natural fertilizer... sea weed, kelp, fish emulsion.  There is a recipe chart that you follow for each stage of life for your plant.  It isn't a different recipe for the individual type of plant, so hopefully everything gets what it needs.  We'll see :0)

Mel

frogbender
by on May. 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Sounds like they got sunburned while you were hardening them off. Try using a light screening to prevent burning.

duets
by asst. gardener on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:01 AM

It's hard to tell w/o a pic; but I have had fungus (white on the stems) on my green peppers.  If it's a fungus; just mix a small amt of 2% milk with equal part water & spray it on the leaves.  This is suppose to kill fungus, if that's what it is.  Good luck!

Cucumber.jpg picture by duetinlv

sherryswanson
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM
I live in southern FL just planted my cucumber plant 2 days ago and leaves are turning white, what could be causing this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherryswanson
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
I live in southern FL just planted my cucumber plant 2 days ago and leaves are turning white, what could be causing this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)