• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strawberry net

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1855 Total Views

I've got a beautiful green strawberry turning red and I'm worried the birds will eat it before I do.  Is there some kind of netting to drape over the plant so the birds can't get to it?  This might sound silly but would a hair net work?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CanadianChelsea
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Cheesecloth or window curtains called shears will work to cover your strawberries.

I honestly don't think a hair net would work.  The birds would be able to get their beaks through the netting.

How about putting some kids toy plastic windmills near your strawberry plants?  The movement would scare birds away.

Windmills

kerbear79
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Great, thanks for the tips!  I've got cheesecloth in my pantry that I'll use for now but this weekend  I might go get some of those toys.

duets
by asst. gardener on May. 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM

When I saw this post I had to laugh,  you're worried about the birds getting to them first.  I have a 4y/o neighbor whose already welcomed herself to 7 of mine (she even has a friend who is her partner in crime), grrrrrrr, LOL.  I have a feeling my strawberries don't stand much of a chance!

btw, the windmill things work, I put 2 in my garden, along with an owl hanging over the garden & haven't so far had any  birds noticed.

Also, if I might ask, what is it that you have in the top of your pot of strawberries?  It looks like either wood chips or straw?  Whatever it is, I like it.  Seems it would keep the strawberries from being saturated sitting in the wet soil?

strawberry.jpg picture by duetinlv

kerbear79
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Quoting duets:

When I saw this post I had to laugh,  you're worried about the birds getting to them first.  I have a 4y/o neighbor whose already welcomed herself to 7 of mine (she even has a friend who is her partner in crime), grrrrrrr, LOL.  I have a feeling my strawberries don't stand much of a chance!

btw, the windmill things work, I put 2 in my garden, along with an owl hanging over the garden & haven't so far had any  birds noticed.

Also, if I might ask, what is it that you have in the top of your pot of strawberries?  It looks like either wood chips or straw?  Whatever it is, I like it.  Seems it would keep the strawberries from being saturated sitting in the wet soil?

strawberry.jpg picture by duetinlv

Oh-I didn't ever check this again....sorry I promise I didn't ignore you on purpose.

lol those little strawberry thiefs! Thanks about the windmills..although my plants aren't producing any more fruit??  I have wood chips in the pots...to help them not dry out too much.  At first I had nothing and they got very dry very fast.

CanadianChelsea
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Here is a good website to answer your question about why your strawberries stopped producing:

http://gardening.about.com/od/fruitsberriesnuts/a/Strawberries.htm

They should be either ever-bearing or day neutral.  If they are and have stopped producing fruit, try feeding them with a 20-20-20 fertilizer to get them going again.

kerbear79
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Quoting CanadianChelsea:

Here is a good website to answer your question about why your strawberries stopped producing:

http://gardening.about.com/od/fruitsberriesnuts/a/Strawberries.htm

They should be either ever-bearing or day neutral.  If they are and have stopped producing fruit, try feeding them with a 20-20-20 fertilizer to get them going again.

So helpful! Thank you! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)