Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time doing raised bed gardens

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 496 Total Views

I have had large gardens in the past when I lived in the country.  I now live in town and thought I would try something that wasn't 1/2 an acre.  My first attempt at raised beds.  the plants are doing wonderful and I have hardly had a weed to tend to.  Sure beats hours bonding with my hoe.  In the few days since I have done the photos the plants are now as tall as the fence.  Now waiting for all of the yummy foods to arrive.

by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mommy2seven
by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Looks great hun!  I've done raised beds too they do seem to work out better :)

ElectraSpy
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Looks so nice!

kerbear79
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Wow, they look so good! 

ginal966
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM

They look wonderful!  Great job.  Did you like your garden this way, would you do it again?

momof4treasures
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Quoting ginal966:

They look wonderful!  Great job.  Did you like your garden this way, would you do it again?

I absolutally love it.  It is so easy.  Before I spent a lot of time in a loosing battle with weeds, tilling, hoeing and handpicking weeds.  Now, I would say less thanan an hour all season.  Looking to expand the beds.  Thinking of adding a third box to each of the 5 rows and conecting the boxes on one end.  Sorta of making them a letter E configeration.  Also my sweet corn is not in a raised bed, it is located in a diffrent section of the yard and is not doing as well, so I may try putting that in a raised bed as well.  My husband thinks that the soil gets warmer in the raised beds and that helps them, I don't know ...I just wish I had tried this years ago.

rglrtmmy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM

You need less space and yield more food in a raised bed than if you plant in the ground in rows. I love this way of gardening as well. For those of us who hate gardening but do it to save money and provide a healthier food source............this type of gardening is great!!!!

Tammy

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM

It looks awesome! I will def. be trying that method when I get a better living arrangement. 

Quoting momof4treasures:

Quoting ginal966:

I absolutally love it.  It is so easy.  Before I spent a lot of time in a loosing battle with weeds, tilling, hoeing and handpicking weeds.  Now, I would say less thanan an hour all season.  Looking to expand the beds.  Thinking of adding a third box to each of the 5 rows and conecting the boxes on one end.  Sorta of making them a letter E configeration.  Also my sweet corn is not in a raised bed, it is located in a diffrent section of the yard and is not doing as well, so I may try putting that in a raised bed as well.  My husband thinks that the soil gets warmer in the raised beds and that helps them, I don't know ...I just wish I had tried this years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)