Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I picked some pickling cucmbers today and it gave me a rash

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 2047 Total Views

Pickling cucumbers have those prickly leaves and now my hands and half way up my arms are covered in an itchy rash. I know next time to wear gardening gloves!

We're waiting to get about 50 before we try to make some pickles for the first time. The kids can't wait!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ginal966
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Sorry about the rash, try some cold water.  Good luck with the pickles, I'd love to know how they turned out!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I always get a rash when I weed or pick strawberries, green beans, and cucumbers.  I just make sure to come in and wash immediately after picking with soap & water, then rub some vitamin E or aloe in if it itches.

Are you going to use a pickling mix (sweet, dill, kosher dill) or are you following a recipe?

bsflower13
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Please use a recipe when you make pickles, I posted free recipes on my site. You can save money and get higher quality product's.

http://www.growitsaveituseit.com/

Brenda Snyder

ladybugLive,laugh,love

IhartU
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Quoting bsflower13:

Please use a recipe when you make pickles, I posted free recipes on my site. You can save money and get higher quality product's.

Thanks! I'm kind of scared to make them. I remember my grandmothers pickles always tasted kind of nasty and I don't want mine to taste that way!

IhartU
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I always get a rash when I weed or pick strawberries, green beans, and cucumbers.  I just make sure to come in and wash immediately after picking with soap & water, then rub some vitamin E or aloe in if it itches.

Are you going to use a pickling mix (sweet, dill, kosher dill) or are you following a recipe?

I bought some mix, so I thought I'd give that a try but I'm also going to try a batch with a recipe instead and see which ones turn out better.

IhartU
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Quoting ginal966:

Sorry about the rash, try some cold water.  Good luck with the pickles, I'd love to know how they turned out!

Thank you and I'll be sure to let everyone know.

tomatoqueen
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Depending on what type of pickles you make, there are some decent mixes, but I have found they are overly salty. If you are going to make dills, use fresh dill. Fortunately, it is now available in the stores. My dill that I picked did not germinate. Dill seeds just don't have the flavor.

Keep your cucumbers cool until you get ready to can them and don't use any that are soft. If this is your first time, you might try making a small batch so that you can see if you like them. We taste the brine to see if it is like a brine we like in a commercial pickles. The ones we made last night are similar to the ones you find in the refrigerated section of the store. YUM.

Have fun. When my sons were younger, they helped me make pickles, relish, jams, etc. They are now 17 and 21 and helped me last night. They are proud that they know how to do this and always tell people how much better our stuff tastes than the store bought. I think it is a great legacy to pass on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)