Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving right along.

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 632 Total Views

I have been canning and freezing a little at a time,  as vegetables ripen.  here are som pictures to share.

Sweet pickle relish.  Thanks again Rhonda.

Refridgerator Dill Pickles

Bread & Butter Pickles

and of course Tomato Juice.  I have tomatoes we will eat on left,  and tomorrow I plan on making Zucchini Pineapple.  Can't wait to use in baking this winter all those holiday goodies. 

There is probably more tomatoes turning and cucumbers and zucchini to harvest already.  Rain moved in tonight,  so getting to garden will be a day or so.  I am so pleased with the lush colors of all my produce.  It is just beautiful.  I am loving it. 

by on Jul. 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jul. 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Wanna move right up this way and do my canning for me??  LOL  I start on beans tomorrow if I can get them picked before it rains.

Looking good!

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM

OMG!!! Um Can I ask you to please send me the recipes for like everything you have pictured?? My husband would be greatly appreciative :) It would be a great way to use the produce that will be coming in and not have it go to waste just because we can't eat it all at once.

mystified1958
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Quoting JJones02:

OMG!!! Um Can I ask you to please send me the recipes for like everything you have pictured?? My husband would be greatly appreciative :) It would be a great way to use the produce that will be coming in and not have it go to waste just because we can't eat it all at once.

Sure,  I need to look them up,  but will get back with them and let you know when they are here.  Are you looking forward to your gardening this year too?  I am so ready to watch it grow and then start canning and freezing. 

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Quoting mystified1958:

Quoting JJones02:

Sure,  I need to look them up,  but will get back with them and let you know when they are here.  Are you looking forward to your gardening this year too?  I am so ready to watch it grow and then start canning and freezing. 

Thank You so much! And we have already started our growing here. My hubby thinks I'm nuts cause I keep adding more plants but there are still more things I want to do and I plan on taking advantage of the ground as long as I can to do some cool weather/winter crops and keep my garden going year round with different veggies.

mystified1958
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM
FOREVER CRISP DILL PICKLES  

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1936,156189-249196,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

4 lbs cucumbers
2 cloves of garlic for each jar (peeled)
1 or 2 fresh sprigs of dill for each jar
4 or 5 black peppercorns for each jar
1 small fresh hot red cayenne pepper for each jar (optional)
2 quarts of water
2 quarts of white vinegar
scant 1/2 c. canning salt

Soak freshly picked cucumbers in a tub of ice water overnight. (Do not use old cucumbers or the pickles will be rubbery). Wipe the pickles dry. Pack sterilized jars with several sprigs of dill, one clove of garlic at the top and bottom and the cucumbers.

Boil the 2 quarts water, 2 quarts vinegar and scant 1/2 cup salt for 5 minutes. Pour the boiling brine over the cucumbers and adjust 2 piece canning lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Wait for about 3 weeks before using to allow the pickles to mellow.

mystified1958
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM
PRIZE WINNING BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES  

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2266,156183-236201,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

6 c. cucumbers, sliced
3 med. onions, sliced
1 sweet green pepper
1/2 c. canning salt
2 c. vinegar
2 c. boiling water
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 c. sugar

Sort cucumbers, discarding any with blemishes. Wash well.

Mix cucumbers, onions, green pepper and salt; let stand 2 hours. Drain and rinse off excess salt.

Combine vinegar, boiling water, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric and sugar. Bring to a boil.

Combine with cucumbers. Cook 5 minutes.

Pack into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim of jar with a damp paper towel. Adjust 2 piece caps.

Note: Original recipe did not call for further processing, but current recommendations are to process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes. To avoid a cloudy brine or darkened pickles, do not use common table salt (use only canning salt).

Yield: Three 1/2 pint jars.

mystified1958
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM

This recipe was shared by the group owner.  I also added onion to a batch I made,  it just enhanced the flavors.  Everyone so far who has tasted this recipe just love it. 

Note:  when I drained the relish veggies,  I drained into a large cloth and squeezed the water out.  The veggies then soaked up the brine and it was so much easier and faster than waiting for it to drain and pushing thru the colander.  I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. 

Sweet Pickle Relish: Personally, I find that I use 1/4 c. to 1/2 c. less sugar

• 4 c. finely chopped unpeeled cucumbers
  • 1 c. finely chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped sweet red pepper
  • 3 c. finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 c. salt
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 2 c. white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. celery seed
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard seed

Combine chopped vegetables in a very large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and cover with ice water. Let stand 4 hours. Drain thoroughly in a colander and press out all liquid. In a large pot, bring rest of ingredients to a boil Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in drained vegetables and simmer 10 minutes. Pack into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. Yields 5 to 6 pints.

mystified1958
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM

As for the tomato juice.  I wash,  core and cook the tomatoes til done,  then put thru a seive,  and cook for about 10 minutes at a rolling boil as juice,  put in jars and water bath 10 minutes to seal jars. 

Happy canning this summer,  and be sure to share any recipes you use with us also. 

mystified1958
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Oh,  also,  the refridgerator dill pickles were not good.  They didn't absorb the brine,  and I was very disappointed with the flavor.  Not a good recipe. 

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Thank You, I will find another recipe for the dills then but everthing else sounds good! I am looking for some tomato sauce recipes as I use it often and with three big boy tomato plants in the ground I would love to try my hand at making my own sauce and canning it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN