Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New food safety law update

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 588 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Backyard gardeners, small farms, farmers markets, people making under $500,000/ year are exempt from this law. You are welcome to grow your own garden and sell produce.

Unless you use a commercial seed cleaning machine (which is to be inspected), there's no problem with saving seeds for yourself. 

After reading several articles, all saying the same thing, I found this one gives an easy to understand version.  Check it out for yourself:  http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/1123/Food-safety-bill-101-What-are-the-facts-and-myths

Here are a couple of more links:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2011/0104/Obama-signs-historic-food-safety-law-Will-it-make-dinner-safer

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/01/are-fda-scientists-ready-for-food.html

by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sistyugler
by on Jan. 22, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Thanks for clearing up the confusion...I was becoming concerned. I'd heard all kinds of rumors and was very concerned!!!

I have a small plot in my backyard and will NEVER make anywhere near $500,000. My neighbor is Cambodian and raised exotic fruits and veggies to sell at a farmers market. I'm sure that they won't make anywhere that much either.

Thanks again for clearing that up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good

elijahsmama09
by on Jan. 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I thought it had ot be something liek that...because there is no way the gov't could stop the average joe from doing a garden. That has to be against the constitution or soemthing.

COGMOMJen
by on Jan. 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Thanks for posting this.  I was wondering as well.  I've been watching alot of the documentaries on food lately, makes me even more inspired to plant alot this year.

PadmeJonez
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Well, that's really good to know!  I've been hearing all kinds of mess.  If I have extra to sell, I'll do so now. 

godsgirl26
by Member on May. 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM

woahhhh thanks for letting me know... i was starting to get a lil worried.

JJones02
by Member on May. 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM

ty!

razz1368
by on May. 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Yes that makes sense....of course the first lady would not be promoting something....as in the white house garden ...if it was going to get us average citizens in trouble.
Joeygoat
by on May. 23, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Thank you for the information.  Now, if I could only get my college educated son to realize that the USA DOES need to plant it's own crops, not just buy what we need, when we need it.  Oh, to be young and very liberal. 

TexasWife
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I will need to read this later. At least for reference.

Cadelegado
by on May. 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I love this group ... and i know i´m very late but thanks cat it help me a lot in my work.

Curso

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)