Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a cheap way to make a cage for plants?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

I need about 10-12 cages for my tomatoes and green pepers.  I planted 6 phenix tomatoes, 6 chocolate cherry tomatoes, and 6 green peper plants.  I was hoping that some of the plants could "share" cages????

Anyways the cheapest I have found them is 2.78 per cage.  Is there a way to make them cheaper?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
t_creanskisa
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM

yes, but it depends on how much work  you want to do.  you can try freecycle or craigslist. or you can take some strait branches and some twine and make them. there is a lot of ways to DIY them.  the cost just depends what you have around the house. and what you need too find/buy

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM

$3 is pretty cheap....

sistyugler
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I never buy metal cages. I use wooden plant stakes and string. That way you can add to the support as the plant grows. The stakes are reusable,the metal cage

usually rusts after the first season.

Hope this helps,oh, by the way wooden plant stakes are very much cheaper and a ball of string can last a long time.

good

elijahsmama09
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I use branches from around the yard(free!) and white string you get at the dollar store. It is cheap, and it works well.

For other veggie that are vines(like peas, beans, cukes, etc) you can use chicken wire. This is what we are going to do this year.

redneckmama4
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Sticks and string!

Loree, mama to 4 and wife to my Redneck King!!

I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not!

http://lifeandtimesofaredneckwoman.blogspot.com/

megbadger1
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Last year went to the dump and they had a huge pile of pallets. We asked if we could take them(they were just there to get mulched up) and they let us take a bunch. We broke them down and made cages with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)