Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our first family garden!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 551 Total Views

Poll

Question: I accidentally planted my broccoli a row over from my lettuce and I'm worried about them not playing nice! FYI I wanna leave the broccoli where it is because it is behind one of our tomatoes.

Options:

Don't worry, be happy :)

Don't freak out, but you may want to watch it.

Move the Lettuce!!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

We started our family's first home garden this year and we jumped in feet first.

Planted my veggies in cups since the dirt isn't ready yet. This was around the end of March.

Alyssa started some watermelon seeds from a kit we got her.

Started my herb seeds like this and nothing happened :( I think there were too many seeds and they were too wet so I started over and just seeded my planter.

some of our peppers in their pots. We have: jalapeno, green, red, and yellow bells, banana peppers and cayenne peppers.

seedlings about a week before we transplanted them

Top: Broccoli, Bottom: Lettuce

Had to reseed the lettuce straight into the ground since these shoots didn't take to well to being handled.

My dd's watermelon plants that grew!

Update!! 5/9/11 - New pictures that I took on Mother's day before church and a few others. 

My herbs came in!! These are the second try I did and they grew! Too bad my labels washed off so I am waiting for everything but the dill to get big enough to identify...

Cayenes

Banana peppers

Bell Pepper, Guess what color!

The three sisters. Corn, Pole Beans, Butternut Squash. There are three rows of three corns plants with another row of 2 on the right hand side. Due to planting times and a mishap that took out the formerly tallest central stalk, all the corn are different ages! There is a second planting of beans (around the younger corn plants) in the ground now.

need to weed for my oldest carrots badly...

my row where I alternated leaf lettuce and rainbow chard! I've never even had chard before, lol... there is a lone broccoli pant left to the left there next row over...

and last but not least... the carrot seedlings I planted in April. Just planted another in the space off to the left for a batch in late July. In the right foreground is our habanero and I JUST noticed a bud right off the top looking at the photo on the new monitor hubby got me for my birthday ;). Sorry had to brag but I seriously didn't notice that on my phone!! ok That's it for now ladies! 

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I've grown lettuce next to broccoli and they do fine.

BellaH10
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Everthing is looking great! Your baby girl is cuteness!

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I sure hope so. Thanks

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've grown lettuce next to broccoli and they do fine.

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Thank You!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
-----
Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/JJones02
JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Cornville: pop. 7

The garden. In addition to all the seedlings, we planted cucumbers, tomatoes, and a habenero plant. I also threw out some carrot seeds that have started sprouting as of today!!!

JJones02
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM

So I have been looking into a three sisters garden but wasn't sure if I had room. Well, my fil found another bag of topsoil so I expanded the corn bed and planted four more plants! Now I have to get some trailing squash and pole beans to plant around the corn...

I also dropped more carrot seeds in front of my husband's habenero

can't wait to see everything come up!

JJones02
by Member on May. 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Woke up this morning and it 52(F) and it's been raining on and off all night :( Maybe my broccoli will make a comeback but I'm worried about my corn, okra, and the cucumbers which didn't do too well through the night. They look really weighed down so maybe they will perk up when their leaves dry off (if they ever get the chance!). Sigh

BellaH10
by on May. 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Quoting JJones02:

Woke up this morning and it 52(F) and it's been raining on and off all night :( Maybe my broccoli will make a comeback but I'm worried about my corn, okra, and the cucumbers which didn't do too well through the night. They look really weighed down so maybe they will perk up when their leaves dry off (if they ever get the chance!). Sigh

Plants are prettty tough! They will bounce back!

JJones02
by Member on May. 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I sure hope so. I'd hate to see all my hard work wither away! I would just cry...

godsgirl26
by Member on May. 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

all your lil garden is so cute..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN