Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Zucchini

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 707 Total Views

Why do my Zucchini flowers keep falling off? What can I do about it. I haven't gotten a single zucchini.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM

With squash and other vining plants, zucchini included, there are male and female flowers.  The male flowers blossom first, about a week or two before the female flowers.  If you look on the stem below the female blossom, you'll see a bump that actually looks like a tiny zucchini.  The males have just a straight stem.  It's normal for the males to fall off fairly quickly.  The females will fall off after pollination.  Zucchini will keep producing blossoms until the plant is dead.

You can take the male blossoms that fall off and hand pollinate the female blossoms to ensure pollination.  There is a post somewhere in this group about mechanical pollination.

FrustratedmomX5
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM

That is so cool! I did not know that about Zucchini!

AjCeCeMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:09 PM
I didn't know that either, very interesting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlregalado
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I thought they were all male but I have absolutely no female blossoms! They are all falling off. I just want some food dangit!

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Quoting mlregalado:

I thought they were all male but I have absolutely no female blossoms! They are all falling off. I just want some food dangit!

Be patient. It can take up to 2 to 3 weeks for female blossoms to show up.

Ell564
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 6:28 AM

If you had a lot of male flowers.  Your zucchini is prob on its way and it grows fast and furious.  soon...

I love zucchini so I grow it every year.  yummy zucchini bread... mmmm

mlregalado
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

It's starting to grow now that the weather is over 100. I can't wait! Everything is stating to grow! (If it doesn't scorch)

SarahMkey
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Quoting Ell564:

If you had a lot of male flowers.  Your zucchini is prob on its way and it grows fast and furious.  soon...

I love zucchini so I grow it every year.  yummy zucchini bread... mmmm

yummy zucchini bread?? Sounds good..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)