Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help i feel totally lost in this process

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 356 Total Views

so i JUST planted my veggies... i had a couple plants but i did plant some seeds. what is the likely hood that i will get anything being so late to the game now? 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I just planted my garden this past week, too.  You've got a great chance of getting a harvest from your garden.  Most plants/seed packets say "70 days", etc.  So, in just over a couple of months, you'll be seeing ripe veggies!

FrustratedmomX5
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM

We always seem to plant ours late too. Just hang in there with it. Plenty of water and sunshine, and it will be fine. Somethings like radishes, come in early in about 30 days or so they are ready... it depends on what you plant. Good luck with it, and have FUN, it should be relaxing!

mrs.pyle
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

i have to get more soil to plant the rest of my plants... so it will probably get done this w eekend. i cant tell what im doing wrong but some of the leaves on all my plants are turning yellow 

SarahMkey
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

what plants are turning yellow? Might be watering to much.. Im going to replant some red potatoes in buckets  this weekend also..should have some big potatoes in about three months.. at least thats how long it took my other red potatoes to grow and get to a pretty good size. :)

mrs.pyle
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

i think i may have planted my potatoes wrong too, i planted them about 12 inches deep.... i thought they looked thirsty! its been so hott. maybe i will skip tonights watering i thought i wasnt watering them enough honestly 

SarahMkey
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Why do you think you planted them wrong? I planted mine really deep to.. thinking they would need to be planted deep so the potatoes roots could have room to vine out and make more potatoes.. the potatoes did not start growing their leaves out of the dirt for like a month in a half I thought i planted them to deep but they popped out and started doing great.. But one mistake I made was watering every night with an overhead sprinkler.. I guess that's a big no no when in the middle of hot humid weather cus it can cause blight on your potatoes and tomatoes.. Always water in the mornings..

mrs.pyle
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM

can i water in the evenings? the squash, cucumber, zuccini and pumpkins all have yellow leaves so because ive been watering in the afternoons its turning yellow? 

BellaH10
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Quoting mrs.pyle:

can i water in the evenings? the squash, cucumber, zuccini and pumpkins all have yellow leaves so because ive been watering in the afternoons its turning yellow? 

YOu definitely dont want to water them in the afternoon in full view of sun it could lead to scorching. I personally have watered mine in early am or late evening after the sun has started to deep down over the horizon so about 5 or 6 just not when they are in full light but to be safe water in the AM if you can.

I planted my potatoes in a box 3 x 3 x 3 deep. I don't really watered them often at all. But it really depends ln where you live and what your temp is like.Having them in this box like this really helps it maintain some moisture.

I have 3 of these potato boxes....

SarahMkey
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Watering them at night can cause blight on your potatoes and tomatoes when the leaves get wet it allows the blight to grow like crazy..  Blight will turn your leaves yellow with brownish black spots and the leaves will dry up and die..

But It sounds like your problem might be to much water.. You don't have to water everyday.. My yellow squash did the same thing turned light green to almost a yellowish in the leaves.. Someone told me i was watering to much so I stopped watering every day and checked the soil to see if it was moist and then only watered when the soil looked dry.. Now the leaves are dark green again and is looking much better..

SarahMkey
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Cool box.. Did you make it your self? Dose it come apart when your ready to harvest?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)