Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this possible?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 397 Total Views

I think I have wild strawberries like ALL OVER my back yard. They are even under my deck. I've lived in this house since July '07 and never seen them before. How is that possible? Are they edible? I have a dog and a 2 year old. Can they be controled, or erradicated? I dont want to use toxic chemicals (kid and dog remember) but I also want to maintain the sad grass to weed ratio that I already mow. LOL I know domestic strawberries can be pretty invasive, and dont want a whole lawn of strawberries.
Also, where could they have come from all of a sudden?

by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM

It's very possible, although there IS a weed that looks VERY similar to strawberries.  Do you have blossoms or fruit yet?

We are surrounded by wild strawberries.  Some years they produce, some years they don't.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's very possible, although there IS a weed that looks VERY similar to strawberries.  Do you have blossoms or fruit yet?

We are surrounded by wild strawberries.  Some years they produce, some years they don't.

Yes, both. The fruit is not teardrop shaped though. It's round, and tiny.

michiganmom116
by Garden Owner on Jun. 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting michiganmom116:

The wild strawberries around here are also round and tiny.  If you pick it and it smells like a strawberry, it'll be a strawberry.  The weeds that look like strawberries don't produce fruit.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting michiganmom116:

The wild strawberries around here are also round and tiny.  If you pick it and it smells like a strawberry, it'll be a strawberry.  The weeds that look like strawberries don't produce fruit.

Are they going to take over my yard? Should I be concerned if my 2 year old eats one? He still puts everything in his mouth. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)