Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are good summer crops?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 422 Total Views

I have had a pretty successful garden so far.  I'm thrilled that it is doing so well cause this is my first year doing a garden.  I have an 8ftx16ft raised garden that I decided to try square foot gardening in.

I currently have peppers(bell, cayanne, and jalapano), tomatoes, cuccumbers, tomatillos, carrots, swiss chard, bibb lettuce, curly lettuce, buch green beans, pole beans, potatoes, asparagus, collard greens, and various herbs.  I had spinach, but it died off when it got hot out. 

I now have room where my spinach was, where i was going to plant broccoli but never got to it, and will have room where my lettuces are since they look like they are nearly done producing.  It will be about 10 squares open. 

I'm a little unsure about doing seeds since it is my first year, so I'll be going and buying seedlings.  What are some good summer producing plants I can put in the empty areas?

I think come fall I want to plant some broccoli, but i know that doesn't do well in the hot summer (I live in NE PA, and it isn't uncommon to have 90-100 degree days), so i'm trying to think of something to plant in the mean time.  Plus I think 10 sq ft of broccoli might be just a bit much, LOL!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

I will nurse him, MOM I AM!!!!!

by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jenn1972
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM

You can always replant any lettuces/greens. But, my suggestion would be to add some herbs to your garden. There's nothing like the taste of fresh basil or oregano when you cook. Just remember to put your oregano somewhere that you don't mind it spreading. Perhaps a container would work better for you on that! Cilantro is another one that's easy to grow and will will well with your tomatoes & peppers for homemade salsa! Cucumbers are good to ad this late too! Never can have enough pickles.  One last thing, summer squash and zucchini will be great producers at this time of year to add to the garden!  Happy Gardening!

nosborne
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM
I didn't name off all the herbs I have planted, but I did mention that I have various herbs and I also have cucumbers.
I currently have cilantro, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, lavender, reg basil, lemon basil, and parsley. I planted 2 cucumber plants and they are now 4 ft tall up the lattice. I don't think I need any more of them. As for the lettuce, I was told that they do not produce in the summer. They will just flower in the heat of the summer. I was planning to wait till fall to replant them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nosborne
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM
As for zucchini and squash, I am the only person who will eat them, and since they take up lots of room I opted not to plant them originally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN